308 vs 270

austino33

Ok, so I'm planning on hunting Elk and white tail this year, I have a .270 win already but I'm wondering how a .308 win will match up, many of my shots are anywhere from 75 yards plus and I'm accurate up to around 650 yards or so. Now my question is, will a short heavy barrel thats not free floating in a .308 (Remington 700 VTR) or a similar but free floating barrel in the Remington 700 SPS AAC be able to knock down an elk up to 650 yards, keeping in mind I'm hitting clays 3 out of 5-6 times at that range, I would buy a custom rifle but money is obviously a problem..

short answer: yes, it's been done and will without a doubt do it in the future, but there are better rounds that will do it quicker and more cleanly. I'm sure I'm offending many by saying it, but in my opinion, the .308 is an adequate 350-400 yd elk gun at most.

650 ft-lb's at 650 yds is a little slim on a 600-750 lb animal (unless you're going after a roosevelt and then you're well undergunned.)
Don't get me wrong, it will kill it but shot's aren't always taken in ideal light, or wind/weather, angles, etc. etc. and it's just not going to give you a whole lot of room for a poorly placed shot.

Get a bigger gun or get closer is the sound advice, or listen to the others that'll tell you it's a perfectly fine cartridge for the task you intend, that are sure to come.

Thank you very much. I probably wouldnt take a shot at 650 on an elk just because the loss of power. At Most would be around 450, mostly to avoid a runner and having to track it down. But yeah I just want to make sure that a 308 at anywhere from 75-450 yards will do it quick and clean on an elk.

I'd leave the 308 alone, & use your .270 for that range. High S.D., & better B.C. Bullets equals better penetration, more energy, & less wind drift. Is use a MINIMUM of a 140 Accubond, a 150 Innerbonds, or a 160 Partition.
I'm a 30 cal freak, but my minimum elk round starts at 270 & goes up from there. Anything a 308 can do, an -06 can do better, & the 270, & -06 have the same parent case, thus the above advise.

Quick comparison (SAAMI MAX LOADS- Hornady 7th edition)
308-150gr- about 2700ish fps. BC-.415/SD-.226-.233
270-150gr- about 2800ish fps. BC- .525/SD-.279
Run that on JBM Ballistics calculator, out to 1k & you'll see what I mean
Look where you cross over the 1500 ft lbs/1800 fps mark(for full expansion of a tough bullet).
The 308 will do it, but of the 2 rifles mentioned, why not use the rifle with superior ballistics, & energy for Elk at longer ranges?
Just an opinion from an Elk hunter

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for all that information!! Yesterday while looking around online I found a great 7mm rem mag and I know for long shots that will do the trick. I've only hunted elk once and I used a 7 mm mag and that was great, recoil wasn't bad either. So I'll use my .270 or start saving for the 7 mm for this season. Anyway. Thanks fellas!!! All that was great

Hey, I've been using my 270 wsm for 3 years Elk hunting. I've left my 300 Wby, & my -06, & my 338 win mag, & all my other bigger boomers at home, just so I can smoke one with my Shortmag. My cousins, & buddies have all been successfull with my handloads out of thiers on Elk. So far all I've killed with it is 3 bears, & a few deer, but, inside 650 or so I'm fully confident in mine on Elk. Id push it out further on deer, but for Elk I want that magical 1500 ft lbs/ 1800 fps mark or better. Just my personal preferance.
Good luck.

Thank you very much sir, that's sweet, it's nice to actually have a conversation with someone who knows what they are talking about. I asked somewhere else and just got people who've hunted squirrels or something and are trying to give advice on big game. So thanks a lot!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.