308 twist for accuracy.

AR 10 platform and bullet weight between 150 to 180 grain. Mainly used for deer hunting,some hog hunting and just fun play. Then all guns are for fun play.lol

If you aren't reloading, take a look at Hornady's superformance cartridges in 165 and 150 grains. My 20" barrel AR-10 likes those over 28 other cartridges I tried with it. They are extremely accurate. On my second try I hit a 3/8 inch plate off a 2x4 that had swung on top of the 2x4, at 619 yards. My barrel is a 1:10 twist and is whatever came with POF's Stock platform several years ago. It's nothing special except it was cryo treated.

I have one 308 with a custom barrel in 1: 10.25 twist that shoots the 165 to 200 grain'ers,,, the other 308 I'm selling came with the factory 1:10...

I was kind of suprized that the slower twist rate on the custom barrel worked since most folks are into the 1:10 and faster...

There are still some 1:12 twist rate 308 barrels out there,,, they seem to shoot the 150/ 168 gr bullets pretty nice,,, you can try a few different boxes of ammo to see what your rifle likes... Test the 180 grain'ers as you might be suprized...

There was an old saying years ago,,, if your 308 Winchester is having issues shooting tight groups using the lead tipped 165 grain Sierra bullets,,, then something on the rifle or barrel """might""" be causing the problem...

Thanks for the thread as I slowly up size my two 308 rifles for this year...

Frugal on powder and fun to shoot,,, the 308 Winchester offers this...

Cheers from the North

I have one 308 with a custom barrel in 1: 10.25 twist that shoots the 165 to 200 grain'ers,,, the other 308 I'm selling came with the factory 1:10...

I was kind of suprized that the slower twist rate on the custom barrel worked since most folks are into the 1:10 and faster...

There are still some 1:12 twist rate 308 barrels out there,,, they seem to shoot the 150/ 168 gr bullets pretty nice,,, you can try a few different boxes of ammo to see what your rifle likes... Test the 180 grain'ers as you might be suprized...

There was an old saying years ago,,, if your 308 Winchester is having issues shooting tight groups using the lead tipped 165 grain Sierra bullets,,, then something on the rifle or barrel """might""" be causing the problem...

Thanks for the thread as I slowly up size my two 308 rifles for this year...

Frugal on powder and fun to shoot,,, the 308 Winchester offers this...

Cheers from the North
I agree 100%: "
"then something on the rifle or barrel """might""" be causing the problem..."

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.