.308 to 7mm-08

Elkeater

How hard would it be to neck down .308 brass to 7mm-08 brass? I'm looking at having a new rifle put together in 7mm-08 and I'm short on brass. I have some because I already have another 7mm-08 but not much. I have a ton of .308 stuff but since that is the donor rifle I won't need it much anymore.

I've never played with actually altering brass before so I don't know if that's really an option for me.

How hard would it be to neck down .308 brass to 7mm-08 brass? I'm looking at having a new rifle put together in 7mm-08 and I'm short on brass. I have some because I already have another 7mm-08 but not much. I have a ton of .308 stuff but since that is the donor rifle I won't need it much anymore.

I've never played with actually altering brass before so I don't know if that's really an option for me.
I got 7mm08 brass and some factory loaded. If you look at my post "Pay it Forward" Free Ammo I was giving away some of my inventory to a member in need.
Thannks
Len
Coyote Shadow Tracker, LLC
Custom Rifle Chambering & Cerakoting

Attachments

• 7mm-08 Rem Core Lokt 140 Accutip 140.jpg
    7mm-08 Rem Core Lokt 140 Accutip 140.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 85
Other than the time investment to (maybe have to) turn necks, and the headstamp indicating something besides 7-08, are there any downsides to using 308/7.62 brass?

The only downside is remembering that it's a 7mm-08, not the 308 stamped on the case.

What I did was take a Marks-a-lot and put an "X" across the case head, to remind me that what's in the case ain't what's stamped on it.

It's easy to do as mentioned already, just like @dwinmeade mentioned, if you also use a 308 Win rifle then mark them otherwise no worries. I helped my dad do this for years before 7mm-08 brass was readily available in the 80's and early 90's after this cartridge was adopted by Remington.

Last edited:
Easy to do, I have done many hundreds, never needed to turn any necks. One tip, take the seating stem out and run them through the 7-08 seating die, then the FL die. It makes the sizing a lot easier. Shooting a 7-08 in your 308 will do no harm, just won't be that great for accuracy. A 308 cartridge will not fit in a 7-08 at all so the head stamp differences are not a critical issue.

I've done this before and had to reduce the load. The thicker neck created higher pressure. Other than that, it was pretty easy.