308 to 7-08

jsthntn247

I had a few new Lapua cases left over and thought about sizing them for my 308. I'm really considering buying some palma cases and wanted to try these first. They were already turned to .015. I ran them through the 7-08 die and this is what came out, do they look right? Seems to have a false shoulder. Really don't want to fool with donuts.

did you put them trough a fl size die or a neck die? You might want to check the length lube and fl size then see what you get.
As they are now I don't think that they will chamber.

shoot them, they are fine.

I owned a 7-08 for years and never bought a single case marked 7-08... They were twice the price of the 308 brass so in the 7-08 sizer the 308's went, and out popped 7-08's with a bit of a secondary shoulder. The headspace on the two is a touch different, and I suspect your die isn't quite set to minimum dimensions like the factory brass likely is; that's where your false shoulder is coming from...

The 7/08 and the 308 Win Use the same head space gauge so there should be no difference
unless you chambers are different.

Test the sized brass in your 7/08 to see if the bolt will close on it normally (Do not force it).

If both chambers head space the same (They should) the brass its self could be short, or the dies are not set correctly.

J E CUSTOM

I put one of the sized pieces up next to a fired 7-08 piece and the shoulder on the 7-08 seemed to match up with the false shoulder on the neck of that brass?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.