308 tac drivers

CA30-06

I just picked up my first long range rifle. A rem 700 5r in 308. I get it in about 2 weeks and was wanting to ask the more experienced if any one had a good starting point for this rifle. I have been rolling my own for a while now just never the 308. Plenty of '06, 30-30, 300savage, and a bunch of pistol calibers but this is my first 308 and everything I read before making the 5r decision was that with the right loads, the rifle will out shoot the user.I know each rifle is going to like a little different mix, just looking for a tried and true starting point.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I have read a lot about break in procedures. Everything from the extreme to the "nothing just go shoot it ". I would think there is something needed as this is a new rifle but I was hoping there is a happy and managble middle road. Also, can the break in be done with run of the mill ammo or should it be the same loads or hand loads that will regularly be fired?

Again, thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. They are very much appreciated.

That's what I was hoping. All I have read was that Varget was the end all be all for 308 and I can find it anywhere around me to save my life.
IMR 4064 I have and am glad to hear that.

Thank you sir.

That's what I was hoping. All I have read was that Varget was the end all be all for 308 and I can find it anywhere around me to save my life.
IMR 4064 I have and am glad to hear that.

Thank you sir.

Hello CA30-06 ,
I have a Rem. 5R .308 with 24" barrel . Using Sierra Match King 175 gr. bullets , I initially developed a load using Varget powder , Federal 210M primers that I later changed to Win. Large Rifle primers because they proved to be more accurate than the Fed.210M , that chronographed at 2740 fps through a Magneto Speed 1 , and shot 1/2" groups at 200 yards if I read the wind correctly . Then I ran out of Varget .
I switched to IMR 4064 powder that is equally as accurate , slightly slower [ 2704 fps ] , still using Win. LR primers , Sierra 175gr. Match King bullets , seated to a maximum cartridge length of 2.815" [ both powders ] .
The only difference in accuracy that I have noticed is that the IMR 4064 is sensitive to temperature change , slowing as temperature drops .
I shot my rifle in the Texas State Rifle Assn. 600 Yd. Mid-Range Match , F-TR Class [ .308 Win, or .223 Rem. only , maximum weight of 16# , my rifle , scope , and bipod weighed 10#7oz. ] in the fall of 2014 . Using my Leupold Mark IV , 4.5x14x40 LRT scope , shooting off a cheap Caldwell bipod , I maintained vertical accuracy of 1/2 moa , and shot a score of 1133 out of a possible 1200 , in my first F-Tr competition . I missed making NRA EXPERT ranking by 1 point [ I needed 1134 total for expert ranking ] .
I was randomly put in a group with the eventual winner and runner-up of the F-Open class [ scores of 1199 and 1198 , respectively ] , both using 22 pound custom built rifles . Both of these shooters could not believe that I was shooting a factory rifle that was capable of such accuracy in pure , un-tuned , un-altered , stock form .
The rifle is much more accurate than I am .

I forgot to mention that my brass is Federal Military brass .

DMP25-06

I've had good luck with iMr 4064 when that dried up went with 10x it's loaded hot but .5 at 100 with stock 700

Varget has given me excellent performance with lighter bullets.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

Thanks for all the info guys. Getting the 308 dies today and going to start mixing some loads up for the range once I get the rifle.

Any suggestions on the "break in"? That part I'm still a little foggy with. I don't want to spend money and ammo on if I don't have to, but I don't want to follow the " just shoot it" process if at least a minor break in is needed. Should I use the hand loads for a break in or can I pick up some good factory ammo to do it?

Thanks for all the info guys. Getting the 308 dies today and going to start mixing some loads up for the range once I get the rifle.

Any suggestions on the "break in"? That part I'm still a little foggy with. I don't want to spend money and ammo on if I don't have to, but I don't want to follow the " just shoot it" process if at least a minor break in is needed. Should I use the hand loads for a break in or can I pick up some good factory ammo to do it?

CA30-06

I fired 3 shots at 25 yards to sight scope , cleaned thoroughly , moved to 200 yd. range , fired 6 [ 2 - 3 shot groups ] , cleaned again , fired 2 more 3 shot groups , cleaned , and repeated shoot 6 and clean for a total of 24 shots .
8 three shot groups total , cleaning after each 6 shots .
During this break-in , I was also doing load testing for accuracy and velocity .
After break-in , I clean after any extended shooting sessions of 100 + shots .

DMP25-06

Here's a great starting point...

Lapua brass
Nosler 168 Custom Comp bullets
44.0gr of Varget
Federal 210M primers
2.810" OAL

That load is what I used to break mine in, (10-shot strings to get the barrel hot, and then let it cool completely) and after 76 rounds it shot a 1.286" 24-shot group (hot lap) at 100 yards.

I don't recommend the hot-lap as the barrel could have fried an egg on it. But being a .308 it didn't hurt anything, and once it cooled down, all was well.

Scrub out the bore really good before shooting it the first time, making sure there's no debris or cosmoline in it from the factory and shipping, and then afterwards, run a wet patch of RemOil down it, and let the RemOil soak in, and don't wipe it out. I find it helps to sort of break it in faster, and helps to "season" the metal.

IMR 4064 @ 41.7
175 Sierra MK
Fed Match brass
Fed 210 M primer

Duplicates Federal GM load

Like others said Varget with CCI bR2 primers
IMR 4895 used by Palma shooters for years with the Sierra 155gr Palma bullet
RL 15 is good but watch for temp sens.
Federal uses IMR 4064 in their M118LR loads as well as Gold Medal Match........enough said :)

Thanks for all the great addvice.
I picked up the RCBS dies, brass, (Hornaday match) 168gn Hornaday match, have the CCI and Win primers already on hand, got 2 lbs of 4064 and 1 lb Benchmark. This is the best components available anywhere near me so for the time being, I will run what I brung.

Ordering the scope, rings, and bases in the next couple days and ever so paitently waiting to get the new rifle. Thanks for the advice and I will try to follow up with pictures and formulas that worked best.

Thanks again guys.. gun)

I have the 5R in .308 and it will shoot unbelievable groups with IMR 4064 and 168 AMAX.

+1 my cousin had a Remington 700 in .308 that shot in the .2s with IMR 4064 and 168gr A-MAXs. His brother also has a Marlin X7VH in .308 with the exact same load it printed the same groups! This combo works magic in .308s, we loaded 44.0grs of powder with Federal Match brass and Winchester LR primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts