308 Sendero

Ceejack,

To test your rate of twist get out your cleaning rod and get a fairly snug patch and push it in until you feel the very forst resistance. put a mark or you cleaning rod about 15" from the handle. Then push the rod all the way through the barrel the moment your patch gets to the end make another mark on your rod. Pull the rod out and then measure between the 2 marks... there ya got your rate of twist...

Ceejack,
More than likely it's a 1 in 12" twist.
To find for sure, take a cleaning rod with tight fitting patch. Run it in a few inches mark the rod and measure how far in you have to go to make 1 full revolution on the rod. Try it a few times to make sure.
Hope this helps.
I see I was 3 minutes late.
Greg

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: shootinlong ]

Is this an older model? I just checked the Remington website and they don't list a 308WIN in the Sendaro SF. They list the 25-06, several 7mms, the jump to the 300 WIN MAG, the 300RUM and the 338 RUM.

The VS and VLS show a 1:12 twist, the ADL and TI show a 1:10 twist for the 308. Evidently the don't expect long bullets to be used in the lighter weight guns.

Rick

The .308 is not a Sendero-- It is a VSSF--Varmint Synthetic Stainless Fluted. It has a 1:12 twist.
Rick -- You have it backwards--- The 1:10" twist IS for the heavier/longer bullets. The 1:12" is for the lighter bullets.

Chris- you are right about me having my thinking backward, Sorry about that. But I am wondering why Remington has the 1:10" twists in the ADL and Titanium rifles and the 1:12" twist in the Varmint series? The light weight guns are more capable with heavier, longer range bullets than the heavy guns? That's Remington for you!

Rick

By the way, the VS-SF doesn't come is 308 either, only 220 Swift, 22-250 and 223. The carbon steel VS does come in 308 though.

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: RBrowning ]

No, its not a Sendero as I've just learned but it is a vssf as I've just learned. It was made for a while then discontinued from what I understand, anyway I have a rifle that looks exactly like a Sendero stainless fluted but it is in 308 cal.

confused.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>By the way, the VS-SF doesn't come is 308 either, only 220 Swift, 22-250 and 223. The carbon steel VS does come in 308 though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I have one that came that way from the factory. It's a few years old, though, maybe they don't catalogue it currently.

R-WEST

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.