.308 reloading info

wadefishr8

I'm new to the board here, but thought I'd try to get some help. I have a custom built rifle (Win 70) action with a Shilen 1 in 10 twist 26 1/4" #7 barrel, HS Precision stock (the rifle used to be a Stealth). I have been trying like heck to find a good load for the SMK 175 with IMR 4895, Fed 210 primers, fed brass that I could use for 600-1000 competition. I would like to know your ideas on powder selection, etc. I'm thinking that I need a slower powder, but being new to the game, I'm not sure what to try next. I've had some good tutoring on case prep, but need help on recipes. Anything that might keep me from pulling the rest of my hair out would be greatly appreciated.

i 2nd what MM said--i just did a ladder test with varget and RL 15 and came up with 45.0 with both--now i just have to shoot a few groups with both to see who wins--as long as the rain holds off today.

JB

RE-15, VARGET, H4895 (not too much, around 40-40.5 grains H4895.) For the 10 twist try the 190 SMK and RE 15. around 43 grains. But start lower. From a 26" BBL you should be around 2650. With the 10 twist and the high BC it will do amazing things at great distances. If you are stuck on the 175-178. I 3rd the statments of 45g. VARGET.

Good shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.