308 or 7mm-08 for mule deer?

In the immortal words of P O Ackley, if two cartridges have the same case size, the advantage will always go with the larger bullet diameter.
Mmm, I thought the 7mm-08 had an edge ballistically over .308, averaged out over varied distances.

I have both,

Ackley Improve the 7mm-08 as a compromise,

Very true and I've used it as such for a while now. Just wanting to get a rifle dedicated to deer. Plus get a new gun that I can afford to shoot more often. Ive got 5 daughters so I can't afford to shoot the 300 as much as I'd like to and none of the girls enjoy shooting the 300 either.
Look at the .280 Ackley Improved. I believe it has a bit more range than the 7mm08. As for ammunition I picked up 160 rounds in this ammo glut as of this week. Should take out a muley with ease and if you stumble across an elk well there you have it. Mine scales at 6.5 lbs and loaded with optics right at 7.

I have 308 s and shot a lot of deer but for years now I shoot the 7m08 , it's been 20 years and it's been a super round. I use a 308 case in my 7m08 press which gives it a tighter neck and superb accuracy. 162 gr Sierra bullet with varget or 140 gr noesler with varget , this works in my
T-3 , rem 700, and my t/c encore with 15" barrel
With a well needed brake

For hunting i have 7-08, 308, 6.5 Swede AI, and 338 Win Mag. I'm always reaching for the 7-08.
Mine scales at 6.5 lbs and loaded with optics right at 7.
What scope do you have that weighs only 8 oz? Or is the ammo 8oz, and I misunderstood?

For hunting i have 7-08, 308, 6.5 Swede AI, and 338 Win Mag. I'm always reaching for the 7-08.

What scope do you have that weighs only 8 oz? Or is the ammo 8oz, and I misunderstood?
Carbon edge 6.6 lbs
HD VX6. 1.3 lbs
3 280 ai 150 grain bullets .89 oz per 2.67 oz
Leupold 30 mm rings. 3.0 oz

total maybe 8 pounds into the weeds.

Carbon edge 6.6 lbs
HD VX6. 1.3 lbs
3 280 ai 150 grain bullets .89 oz per 2.67 oz
Leupold 30 mm rings. 3.0 oz

total maybe 8 pounds into the weeds.
Wish I had the Swede Ai, I want to get a barrel for my encore and can't find Dies, and I know someone out there has a set the would sell me

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.