308 or 7mm-08 for mule deer?

That's the beauty of having personal choices. Regardless of your stance, you are still entitled to your opinion. You are quoting me on response specifically about the OP's assessment on off the shelf availability of ammo between 6.5 CM over.308 Win where it is at, and not anywhere else.

My choice of chambering is NOT influenced by other people's opinion or popularity but for my personal intended purpose. I stopped shooting .284 caliber quite some time ago. I have since converted my 7MMRm and 7MM STW to something else. It does NOT mean I hate the .284 caliber though, I just prefer the .308 caliber over it (I have 10 in various chamberings). I do not have a rifle/chamber dedicated to a certain game I hunt. However, the .300 WM remains my go-to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards.
I have the .308w and .300wm too, each rifle is sort of setup for a purpose or configured around a "Intended purpose" whether I use it that way remains to be seen. I recently setup the .280ai in a lightweight setup for hunting and easy carrying. You could call it a mountain rifle or sheep rifle but it's likely getting carried just shooting pests.
My .300wm Tikka is in a laminate stock with a nice scope. I like to think of it as a Bear rifle but I doubt I will get to hunt bear but I still use it on pests and like to have it anyway I like the cartridge, it's my second .300wm

The .308 and .7mm-08 have had the most use and just work as hunting rifles, I am fond of the 7-08 and believe it performs well in the field and the number crunchers have shown enough to show that theoretical performance or projected velocity and show it to be a happy medium with lower recoil than the .308 if that is a consideration.

Funny that this thread popped up because I literally just got back to the house from banging steel with my boys (11 & 14). They bet me drinks at the gas station that I couldn't hit the 8" steel on the first shot at about 450yds w/ the 7-08. Bang - Ding - thanks for coming out 😂🤣
That's as good of a reason as any to vote for the 7-08, right?

I have the .308w and .300wm too, each rifle is sort of setup for a purpose or configured around a "Intended purpose" whether I use it that way remains to be seen. I recently setup the .280ai in a lightweight setup for hunting and easy carrying. You could call it a mountain rifle or sheep rifle but it's likely getting carried just shooting pests.
My .300wm Tikka is in a laminate stock with a nice scope. I like to think of it as a Bear rifle but I doubt I will get to hunt bear but I still use it on pests and like to have it anyway I like the cartridge, it's my second .300wm

The .308 and .7mm-08 have had the most use and just work as hunting rifles, I am fond of the 7-08 and believe it performs well in the field and the number crunchers have shown enough to show that theoretical performance or projected velocity and show it to be a happy medium with lower recoil than the .308 if that is a consideration.
In 2012, I considered the .280 AI, but everyone in their brothers has one, so I went with the .270 AI instead. It has a 30" Lilja barrel 1:8" 3G #6, specifically built to propel the 175 Matrix VLD (2993 FPS for my current accuracy load with H4831SC, others are claiming ~100 FPS with RL-26).

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

I guess before my .30 Gibbs (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-is-finally-ready.242088/) all my hunting rifles (10-12 lbs) are mountain rifles. :)

I am looking to buy either a 308 or 7mm-08 as a mule deer hunting rifle. The typical hunting ranges i encounter out west here are between 200-600 yards. Ive got a 300wm I use for elk and other large game and an old 270, but I am wanting something new dedicated for mule deer. My main concerns are ammo price and availability and I am also looking mainly at Bergara, Weatherby and Browning
You said you already reload 300 WM and 30.06. I say go 308 and save on having to buy multiple bullet sizes. Meaning, you have the largest selection of bullets with 30 cal. And the same bullet may very well work just fine for all three. I load all three as well and 165-180 gr work great. So I can stock up on a bullet weight or a few different ones but use them in all three guns.

I am a die hard .284 person. So having confessed to that fact my choice is 7-08. Nice BC's in many choices of quality bullets. I've seen such great performance and accuracy with Nosler BT's In that chambering. Using good bullets in the 140/160 range will give you a good long range load. When I go to .30 cal. for large game my choice is one of the magnums.

In 2012, I considered the .280 AI, but everyone in their brothers has one, so I went with the .270 AI instead. It has a 30" Lilja barrel 1:8" 3G #6, specifically built to propel the 175 Matrix VLD (2993 FPS for my current accuracy load with H4831SC, others are claiming ~100 FPS with RL-26).

View attachment 238314

I guess before my .30 Gibbs (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-is-finally-ready.242088/) all my hunting rifles (10-12 lbs) are mountain rifles. :)
Nice, I hadn't heard of the .270ai but it makes sense someone tried it.

I think your H4831SC is our ADI made AR2213sc. It's a recommended powder for .280ai and the AR2217 and the AR 2225 might produce a little more velocity that the 2213/4831 with a little less pressure but I'm only a novice having read a lot, the .280 has 17 rounds down the tube to have a quick test I've go to load more and get over a bench soon.

I am looking to buy either a 308 or 7mm-08 as a mule deer hunting rifle. The typical hunting ranges i encounter out west here are between 200-600 yards. Ive got a 300wm I use for elk and other large game and an old 270, but I am wanting something new dedicated for mule deer. My main concerns are ammo price and availability and I am also looking mainly at Bergara, Weatherby and Browning.
I've had three 7-08's one of them was a 7-08AI
I've also had one 308.
For me, hands down 7-08. A 120gr bullet @ 3150 fps will dispatch medium game easily out to 500.
Never shot at live game past that distance. But did kill some wild hogs out that far.
The 140gr pills are also very good, but slower.
A 24"tube will get you close though.

I am looking to buy either a 308 or 7mm-08 as a mule deer hunting rifle. The typical hunting ranges i encounter out west here are between 200-600 yards. Ive got a 300wm I use for elk and other large game and an old 270, but I am wanting something new dedicated for mule deer. My main concerns are ammo price and availability and I am also looking mainly at Bergara, Weatherby and Browning.
7mm08 all the way. Better BC's than a 30 cal of similar weight, and can drop any deer. One of my favorites

Funny that this thread popped up because I literally just got back to the house from banging steel with my boys (11 & 14). They bet me drinks at the gas station that I couldn't hit the 8" steel on the first shot at about 450yds w/ the 7-08. Bang - Ding - thanks for coming out 😂🤣
That's as good of a reason as any to vote for the 7-08, right?
Chip shot. Not exactly a fair bet.......

I stopped on page 4 of this thread when I saw someone else already posted my reaction to the OP.
There's nothing wrong with that old 270 caliber.
You already have the perfect, classic, quintessential, mule deer cartridge, unless is just doesn't shoot. But then again you did say you WANT a NEW rifle dedicated to mule deer, and I can sure get behind that emotion 100%.

You've got plenty of good advice already - no wrong answers. 308 vs. 7-08? Either are fine; neither as good as the .270 Win, IMO.

Enjoy the search,
Rex

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.