308 or 6.5CM

For your intended purpose either will be fine. You could split the difference and go 7-08. Either way I would get something light and handy. 16-18" barrel with a 1-6 or 1-8 scope. Keep the whole thing around 8 pounds. My gun for this purpose is a 16" barreled AR 15 in 6.5 Grendel. Shoots 123s at a modest 2400 FPS but has plenty of energy and velocity to 300 yards. Weighs 7.25 Lbs with a 1-6 Trijicon Credo and is a blast to shoot.

I personally have never shot a pig, are they tougher than an elk? Seems like either of the mentioned cartridges would be suitable and readily available.
Their skull will ricochet a .223 and Ferrell hog can get to several hundred pounds, .308 is a great round for 200# prey, pretty sure the 6.5 hits 200# good also.

Since I used to dairy farm in my younger days, here's some advise I was given about how much silo storage to buy...

Figure how much storage you think you'll need today (+/- 300 yard shooting) and then add 50% (when longer shots are needed) incase a bumper crop needs storing or more cows are added on.

Bottom line...within 500 yards, both the 308/6.5CM will work, the edge given to the 6.5CM due to its more speed, as speed kills over bulk, as I've read.

Shots over 500 yards...the 6.5CM will shine, with its speed/accuracy advantage.

I'd built a rifle with the maximum range in mind, as it will handle any shorter ranges as well.

IMO, a 6.5CM covers all the shooting ranges you mentioned and then some.
In comparison I chose the .308 because it made me a better scope adjuster, setting the dope based on bullet ballistics. Bullet drop at the range prepares for real life. (Hen run a flat line bullet in the field, just takes less adjustments. BTW I agree with your commen... just shared what I do personally

I also have a Heavy Barrel Savage in 308! I just use it for Target With 115 Grn Berger Flat Base Target bullets !! It Loves 40 grns. 3031 /Win LR Primers !! During a Range session when I Mounted a 36 X scope , I put the first two Shots clean through a 2 x3, that was the target frame ! Clean holes side by side 18 inches high at 100 Yards ! Looked like a drill bit did it ! Then adjusted down a bunch of clicks. I'm guessing that light target load would take a Pig!!

Attachments

• IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1813.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1683.JPG
    IMG_1683.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
I know you're looking at for advice between the 308 and 6.5CM but don't overlook the 7mm-08. It falls between both calibers and shares many of the same characteristics. Grest selection of bullets with very decent ballistics. Would be more than enough for deer and hogs and many use it for elk. At 300 yards and even a bit further, I like my 7mm-08 for most hunting situations and my 6.5 CM for bench rest and target shooting.

... AND ... you can run 308 brass through a 7mm-08 FL die and have 7mm-08 brass - plentiful, cheap & easy ... LOVE my 7mm-08 ... and my 260 AI ... AND my 243 ... AND my 308 ... AND my future 338 Federal ... ;)

But of all the 308 based cartridges - my favorites are 7mm-08 for "shorter" range hunting and my 260 AI for "longer" range hunting and 1000 yard range.

(but I like a creedmoor too ... )

One thing to keep in mind if hog hunting ... them boogers can get mean ... and can charge ... I like the unmolested shoulder angle of the 308 based cases for extremely reliable feeding ... that reason alone I'd go 308 over the creed ...

Have fun - no wrong answers - go with what you LIKE the best!

Since this is going to be one of my dream builds I'm going for broke on the optics. Looking at the NF ATACR 4x16.

like I said I got the green light so I'm going for it.

Buy once....cry once or something like that

I actually have the F1 version of that scope on my 308. Its a nice combo. I will say it's a heavy scope and it made an alerady heavy rifle a real pain to carry for very long. Wonderful to look through though.

Real late coming to the table but with only the two to choose between 308 wins every time. I have a 308, 260, 7mm-08 and all light hunting rifles, I can't believe that anyone is bothered by 308 recoil even in a light rifle. As some others have mentioned you should someday look at a 7mm-08 as a compromise between the two you gave as choices. Its my favorite between the three above mentioned cartridges. Good Hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.