308 or 6.5CM

Want to build a new rifle and starting looking at Lane Precision. I'm looking for a sub 300 yard rifle for deer and pigs. I like the 308 for many reasons and have a savage heavy barrel that was basically my first rifle 15 years ago. Still shoots well but I want a rifle I can carry in the woods for long hikes. I have a 300 WM if I even make it out elk hunting so I don't need a large caliber rifle.
So I'm looking for advice between the 308 and 6.5cm. I know the 6.5 is the new sexy round but for hunting deer and pigs under 300 yards what would you get?
I know there are a ton of other calibers out there but I'm only considering the 308 or 6.5.

many and all input welcomed.

FWIW:

In this time of component scarcity, choosing a weapon that has the highest likelihood of finding ammunition/components would seem to be the prudent choice. I don't think that, in practical terms for hunting, either of those cartridges will be significantly better ballistically than the other at the range you're listing (300yd).

I think that leaves the .308W as the choice because of the availability of the 7.62x51 ammunition/brass.

--HC

I have both, love my 308's but in light hunting rifle I'd go with the 6.5 CM. I'm also a fan of the 6.8 SPC, have a few rifles in that caliber too. Just remember it is all about shot placement! I've also killed many black bears, and would not hesitate using a 6.5 CM on them too. Secret is don't rush your shots!

There was a great article I read a few years ago about how a pig can absorb a punch from a slower bigger round but is devastated by the internal disruption of a smaller faster round like the .223 ripping through its body. Yes I thought it was bunk until I hit a pig a bit high with a 30.06 at 70 yards. It went into the air, did two flips so I looked to the next victim. Unfortunately the one I hit actually got up and ran into the swamp never to be seen again. Bad shot yes but my 7mm 08 kills them no matter what.

Just because this thread popped back up in my notifications.

Largest hog we've harvested was with a .223. She put it square in the boiler room and he dropped right there but she put another one in his knoggen because he was kicking and it was her first.
382D70FB-1F2D-485D-8E2B-633564EF9089.jpeg

.308 stacking bodies.
98994A5E-9280-4EBD-A4C4-9E7461F667BB.jpeg

9CEBC8F7-C5D8-4C69-98CD-E78A4C3BEC24.jpeg

I'd probably get the creed, ammo availability is equal actually easier to find ammo right now.

since you don't need it for heavy game should be plenty

In the end you'll probably put a lot of energy into the decision but it doesn't really matter both will work fine
Depends on the pig. A true 200lb hog is a tough animal, way tougher than any deer. No substitute for caliber, go .308 win.

Personally, there isn't much of a decision to make. As already stated, there is nothing a 6.5 Credemore can do inside 300 yards that a 308 cannot do shooting similar weight bullets. And The 308 can also shoot 168/175/180/200 bullets. People get caught up in numbers. On paper at 300 yrds the 6.5 shooting a 140 gr bullet seems to have a 150-200 ft/lb advantage over a 308 shooting a 168 grn bullet. What numbers don't factor IMO, is bullet size. I've shot a lot of critters with 308s at a lot of distances and never wanted or needed more gun. You already have a 300WM (308 bullets are .308 bullets.)
The 308 is enough for deer, bear, elf and moose under 300 yards. I would not bet my life on a 6.5. I own a couple of each. Love the Crede for shooting steel at 1000 but all said, the 308 is simply more versatile, ie Ammo, bullets, medium to large game. Both guns are made on Short actions. Same action and barrel contour and the lighter gun is the 308.
Can't really go wrong with either.

Based upon your question, I would say the .308 Winchester over the Creedmoor, a lot more versatility with bullet selection, and under 300 yards a tough cartridge to beat for the game you have said you want to hunt. I probably will have a number of opinions here, however I would consider the .270WSM over the 6.5 Creedmoor. This cartridge is oftentimes overlooked for a short action rifle. The .270WSM could also complement your 300WinMag on an elk hunt. I don't know about how you hunt, however I always bring at "least" one other rifle for the planned game that I am hunting; shtuff happens on a hunt!! Good luck on your build, it's always exciting to put something together.

I have never shot a pig in the daytime nor at 300 yds. They just don't show much in the day light hours in these parts of the woods.

I only have one rifle less than 30 caliber and it would not work for anything larger than a coyote.

I have taken pigs with the 308 Win, and since it is one of your choices, I vote for that.

I'm an old codger now. In my younger days, I enjoyed shooting big guns with lots of recoil, the .375 H&H magnum being my favorite. Now that I've had both shoulders replaced and I'm getting a little more sensitive to recoil, I find the Creedmoor easier to shoot.

Depending on your age, and (more importantly) how long you keep this rifle, consider how comfortable you are with a light rifle shooting the .308 vs. the Creedmoor.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.