.308 or .338 Caliber Elk and Up Cartridge

To reach out farther, I built a 300 PRC to add to my faithful and 99% effective 7mm Rem magnum. Because of a shoulder surgery, I have not shot it. However, I've seen great results on long shots (800+ yds) on elk via friends.

I would get a .338 cal. rifle over any of the .308 cal. rifles. But I am not you. I say this because after reading almost everything written about the .338 calibers, I have jumped up and bought myself a Weatherby 340 Magnum. I love it. I believe it would be a much better brown bear caliber rifle. I am not suggesting a caliber, but the .338 would be MY choice.
Weatherby 340 magnum hard to beat...I love my 300 wby mag too.

I'm a 30 cal fan for many reasons. My 300 WM with a 215 Berger has performed flawlessly on elk.

For your desired purpose, I'd go with the 33 cal. I use a 338 edge because you can source brass from 300 rum or actual 338 edge brass. The process of necking up the 300 rum brass is super easy/basic. My edge shoots the 262gr hammer @3K or 300 gr berger at 2850 with sub moa accuracy. This is with a 26" barrel.

33 Nosler/338 rum brass is spotty. 340 weatherby is a lower pressure saami spec cartridge. Big heavy bullets need powder to get them moving.
The effects on gongs while shooting at the range is very noticeable between the 300 wm vs 338 edge. Edge will knock over the gong @200m due to the violent swinging.

If you can always make good shots / good shot placement there is no reason to go anything above .264 caliber. I shoot a 338 Lapua improved for the times (and we have all had them) when the shot is not perfect.

There is no better out of the box caliber for all things North America than the standard .338 Lapua. I am a big fan of the .340 Wby as well, but it can not compare to the Lapua and the factory Weatherby brass sucks.

I'm a 30 cal fan for many reasons. My 300 WM with a 215 Berger has performed flawlessly on elk.

For your desired purpose, I'd go with the 33 cal. I use a 338 edge because you can source brass from 300 rum or actual 338 edge brass. The process of necking up the 300 rum brass is super easy/basic. My edge shoots the 262gr hammer @3K or 300 gr berger at 2850 with sub moa accuracy. This is with a 26" barrel.

33 Nosler/338 rum brass is spotty. 340 weatherby is a lower pressure saami spec cartridge. Big heavy bullets need powder to get them moving.
The effects on gongs while shooting at the range is very noticeable between the 300 wm vs 338 edge. Edge will knock over the gong @200m due to the violent swinging.
the 338 edge is serious elk medicine. 30 wm can get it done and can be done with factory loads, if reloading i would go edge.

My elk go to is my custom CA 338 RUM... one and done ✅
I tried the RUM one time. Took it hunting. After a few shots with it the first evening after setting up camp and I was too tired and too hungover the next morning to get up and go hunting. That RUM kicks hard if you take too many shots with it in one evening.

I would get a .338 cal. rifle over any of the .308 cal. rifles. But I am not you. I say this because after reading almost everything written about the .338 calibers, I have jumped up and bought myself a Weatherby 340 Magnum. I love it. I believe it would be a much better brown bear caliber rifle. I am not suggesting a caliber, but the .338 would be MY choice.
For a fella who ISNT suggesting a caliber...you sure used .338 alot of times!

For a fella who ISNT suggesting a caliber...you sure used .338 alot of times!
I tend to do things like that. I have a great friend from Alberta, Canada that once told me that a 340 Weatherby would make a great bear gun, so I bought myself one. He was right. As for not making a suggestion, but mentioning .338 caliber a bunch of times, I felt that making a suggestion might make me look partial to the .338 cal. rifle, or something like that. Wouldn't want to seem too pushy.

I tend to do things like that. I have a great friend from Alberta, Canada that once told me that a 340 Weatherby would make a great bear gun, so I bought myself one. He was right. As for not making a suggestion, but mentioning .338 caliber a bunch of times, I felt that making a suggestion might make me look partial to the .338 cal. rifle, or something like that. Wouldn't want to seem too pushy.
Good morning Bud. Have a terrific day

I shoot 338 Lapua. I have two of them. The 338 is almost out of favor because of the 300 PRC. I was on the fence about purchasing the 300 PRC. I do like them alot. Then before buying one, I tried to get dies, powder, the heavy 190's. Maybe now they are available, I couldn't find any a few months ago. I already have 338 Lapua dies, brass, a couple neck sizers, powder and primers already. So, The 2nd 338 Lapua is lighter. It's also the British "CIP". So my OAL is longer (more powder / less pressure/ more velocity). Carbon stock, Defiance action, Bartlien stainless fluted & threaded, 1:9.3 twist. It shoots the 300gr Sierra Match Kings beautifully! I have just less than 5" groups at 955 yards. 92.1gr of H1000, .002 off the lands, .0025 neck tension, 215M primers. it sings along at 2805fps. I couldn't be happier! I hope this helped.

I'm trying to decide on a cartridge for elk-sized game and up for shots up to 800 yards. It must be at least .308 caliber. I have a .270 Win which will handle everything up to elk comfortably. This cartridge should also be enough gun for brown bear, though it will mainly be for a longish-distance elk rifle. Regardless of the cartridge, I will likely install a muzzle break, so recoil won't be too big of a consideration. Yes, I understand that magnum cartridges shot through a muzzle break will be incredibly loud, but I always shoot with hearing protection, even in hunting scenarios. I've been leaning 33 Nosler because it seems to be one of the most efficient of the bigger magnums, and from browsing Ammoseek the ammo prices for 33 Nosler are less than all other .338 magnums, and it's less than all other .308 magnums minus .300 Win Mag. I am getting into reloading, but I am a newby at reloading, so I don't think .338 Edge would be something I'm up for at this moment. I am most interested in using non-lead ammo, probably with a focus on Hammer Bullets and Cutting Edge bullets. What would y'all suggest?
I personally would pick the 340 Wtby Mag, I have a custom Reminton 700 with a 26" Shilen 1/10 twist barrel { I would go faster twist now } that I shot a large boar Brown Bear with 250 grain Nosler Partions and have taken numerous elk with 225 Nosler Accubond bullets. It has seen some pretty impressive one shot kills.

340 Weatherby and you pick the Hammer Bullet to run. It's a one and done on elk.
I like Weatherbys. I am thinking about trying to find myself a left-handed 257 Weatherby Mark V. I have no idea why, I just want one. I know there are some rifles out there that outperform some Weatherby cartridges, barely, but if Roy was alive today, that would not be the case.