.308 or .338 Caliber Elk and Up Cartridge

JumpinLegs

I'm trying to decide on a cartridge for elk-sized game and up for shots up to 800 yards. It must be at least .308 caliber. I have a .270 Win which will handle everything up to elk comfortably. This cartridge should also be enough gun for brown bear, though it will mainly be for a longish-distance elk rifle. Regardless of the cartridge, I will likely install a muzzle break, so recoil won't be too big of a consideration. Yes, I understand that magnum cartridges shot through a muzzle break will be incredibly loud, but I always shoot with hearing protection, even in hunting scenarios. I've been leaning 33 Nosler because it seems to be one of the most efficient of the bigger magnums, and from browsing Ammoseek the ammo prices for 33 Nosler are less than all other .338 magnums, and it's less than all other .308 magnums minus .300 Win Mag. I am getting into reloading, but I am a newby at reloading, so I don't think .338 Edge would be something I'm up for at this moment. I am most interested in using non-lead ammo, probably with a focus on Hammer Bullets and Cutting Edge bullets. What would y'all suggest?

I'm trying to decide on a cartridge for elk-sized game and up for shots up to 800 yards. It must be at least .308 caliber. I have a .270 Win which will handle everything up to elk comfortably. This cartridge should also be enough gun for brown bear, though it will mainly be for a longish-distance elk rifle. Regardless of the cartridge, I will likely install a muzzle break, so recoil won't be too big of a consideration. Yes, I understand that magnum cartridges shot through a muzzle break will be incredibly loud, but I always shoot with hearing protection, even in hunting scenarios. I've been leaning 33 Nosler because it seems to be one of the most efficient of the bigger magnums, and from browsing Ammoseek the ammo prices for 33 Nosler are less than all other .338 magnums, and it's less than all other .308 magnums minus .300 Win Mag. I am getting into reloading, but I am a newby at reloading, so I don't think .338 Edge would be something I'm up for at this moment. I am most interested in using non-lead ammo, probably with a focus on Hammer Bullets and Cutting Edge bullets. What would y'all suggest?
I would get a .338 cal. rifle over any of the .308 cal. rifles. But I am not you. I say this because after reading almost everything written about the .338 calibers, I have jumped up and bought myself a Weatherby 340 Magnum. I love it. I believe it would be a much better brown bear caliber rifle. I am not suggesting a caliber, but the .338 would be MY choice.

I would get a .338 cal. rifle over any of the .308 cal. rifles. But I am not you. I say this because after reading almost everything written about the .338 calibers, I have jumped up and bought myself a Weatherby 340 Magnum. I love it. I believe it would be a much better brown bear caliber rifle. I am not suggesting a caliber, but the .338 would be MY choice.
I'm definitely leaning .338 as well. Might as well go big if I'm going big, right?

If I was in your shoes I would go 300PRC. Designed to shoot heavies with lots of factory support. In reality there is so little difference between big .30 cal. mags an big 33 cal. when you shoot them, just pick your favorite. Might look into what components are available to help make your choice.
I do like the 33 nosler as well.

<1KY .30 Cal magnum
>1KY .33 Cal magnum (not .338WM)

For high BC monos, do not overlook the Badland Precision and Cayuga bullets.

I prefer bullets that start with at least .33.....for any and all big game! memtb

I'd go .340 Wby, brass is easy to make and it's plenty capable. (build not factory...)

Side note, it's a fun question and will bring out a lot of comments. Almost as many as if you'd of asked about bear protection:)

As for bullets, I'd take a close look at the 210 TTSX, it'd be a rocket and would shoot thru an elky end to end and yet still open up at a darn long range.

Perhaps you should qualify it with if you've been in on the killing of elk then what would your thoughts be...........snork

I like the 33 nos for your intended purpose.

Imo-it along with the 30 nos are pretty close to as right sized as you can get. Very efficient and easy to load for.

I'm wanting to build a 24 inch braked 33 nosle myself.

My take on going big is a bit different.
I have my own set goals for animals the size of Elk.
For me, a bullet must have a minimum of 3000fps at the muzzle for the intended game, the calibre of said bullet really doesn't matter to me.
If going over 30 cal, as you seem to be going that direction, the 338 makes sense.
So, any 338 based on the RUM case or RIGBY case fills the bill.
The 338WM, although great, is a bit slow, 2900fps is about all you can get from a 225g and 2775fps from a 250g. A 300g is 2400fps if pushed hard.
So, 33 Nosler, 338 RUM, 338 Lapua or 33 Norma mag is what I would be looking at.
In my eyes, you can't beat the fast 375's for Elk. 375 Weatherby (which I use), 375 RUM are great choices. There are others, but these are available. The 375 Ruger will also work but is not as fast as the other 2.

To be honest, I would have no qualms using my 338-06 on Elk all the time, just that it's effectiveness beyond 500yrds is just not there. In fact, it's the ONLY rifle I have taken with me every trip for NZ Elk as my back-up gun. The main gun has changed each time, but not the 338-06.

Cheers.

I'd go .340 Wby, brass is easy to make and it's plenty capable. (build not factory...)

Side note, it's a fun question and will bring out a lot of comments. Almost as many as if you'd of asked about bear protection:)

As for bullets, I'd take a close look at the 210 TTSX, it'd be a rocket and would shoot thru an elky end to end and yet still open up at a darn long range.

Perhaps you should qualify it with if you've been in on the killing of elk then what would your thoughts be...........snork
What's the reason you wouldn't go with a factory .340 Wby? Is it the freebore they have?

IME, I can have one built that will day in and day out kick the factory rifles what'sus...............now someone will come along and say my Wby shoots into .0003 @ 1K yards and kills all that moves.

However, I'd get an action and build. I've done them off 700's and 70's with Schneider tubes and they all shot lights out!

Just one mans opine:)

My elk go to is my custom CA 338 RUM... one and done ✅