.308 OAL issues

Rifle: .308 Rem 700 converted to AICS magazine feed.

I just had the rifle bedded by my favorite local gunsmith. Yesterday was my first range day with some new reloads. Backstory on the reloads:

I measured the ogive with once fired brass (previous factory ammo I ran through it) and it was 2.366". I assume a long chamber give the bullet doesn't stay in the case. It came in at 3.022" :(

I am using Speer Boat Tail Big Game 165 gr and that's what I used in the ogive measurement.

I set my die to seat to give me a overall length to give me 2.794". The longest overall length I wanted to try in my magazine.

I never loaded a round into the rifle until the range. I started out on getting onto paper with some left over Federal Fusion 165 gr I had. I went to shoot my reloads and the bolt wouldn't close. Back home I went.

My Federals mentioned above have a overall of 2.706". My Lyman book states 2.780" for a max overall length. I made up a un-primered case. The Speers at 2.780" are deforming the lead tip going into the chamber. It's also hard to close the bolt. It's deforming out to 2.771" for OAL.

Questions:

-Should I keep seating the bullet until the lead tip stops deforming? New reloader concerned about pressures.

Try chambering an empty resized case and check back with us. Likely an improperly sized case and die setup.

You have .228" of bullet jump and you are seating less than 2.800", it's not a bullet or seating issue. The deformed lead tip is a feeding thing most likely and is normal when the tip gets forced up the feed ramp.

Does the bolt close easily on a loaded round if single fed? If not, CastIron is correct, its a die set-up issue.

How smooth is the round feeding from the magazine? If deforming the exposed lead tip significantly, there is an issue with the way the bullet interfaces with the feed ramp and/or the magazine feed lips may need adjustment. Perhaps they are not releasing the cartridge properly.

Is it possible the magazine is not properly fit/positioned so that the mag rides to low and the bullet hits the well of the action just below the feed ramp? Just a few things to check. Good luck.

Insert a magazine in it and see if there is clearance from the mag to the feed ramp.

I had a similar problem on a Rem 308. Manners mini chassis DBM. Magazine is an Accurate Mag. The front of the mag goes slightly under the feed ramp And will not allow the round up when you cycle the bolt. Depending on the magazine you have they do not all have same outer length. InI loaded factory ammo it cycled, but when I did my loads (longer oal) they would come up below the feed ramp and not clear it.

To correct it, I took a dremmel and cut a notch until it would cycle. Then polished the new cut a bit. Not pretty but works. If you look at the first pic you can see where the front of the mag is under the feed ramp.
Here is how it turned out with mag and without mag inserted.

Hope this helps.

1D6FB305-543B-4C31-9115-67D2B7EAFF10.jpeg
6F0669ED-4C02-4CBD-BF44-098F25E642C4.jpeg

Does a resized piece of brass allow the bolt to close? What is that scrape on the case body of your reload that looks to be approx .250-.375 long just below the shoulder/body junction? Does the tip deform below 2.771?

It looks like the case isn't getting over the extractor when it feeds. If you push ever so slightly forward you may hear a click. It may be difficult to extract also. These are cases fired from your rifle and full length sized right?
When you single feed do you have this problem?

I have this problem at times.

Sorry. Life's been a little busy.

Since I last posted here's what I've done:

- I pulled the bullets from the rounds in the aforementioned. I'm just not comfortable seating the bullets further due to pressure concerns. I'm new reloading and I don't want to press my luck.

- I took some brass and seated these soft points low enough to get the bolt to closed. I worked down from 2.750" COL. It came in at 2.695". This was a tight bolt closed. I seated a Accubond at 2.750" and had a tight bolt closed. I don't think these soft points are the ticket moving forward

- Q: I still be jammed up against the lands?

A little more on the rifle:

-This has been my go to range toy for about 2 years. All of my brass from range days before I got into. I've been shooting it way before I got into reloading. I've never found the pill in a factory loading that was pretty accurate. < MOA at 100y.

Additional questions:

- what are some middle of the road round recommendations? I need to order so more Varget so I'd like to order something. I love taking it to the range and it would be a good meat stick for Michigan deer.

You COL isn't the issue (my opinion), as I don't feel there is anyway that a bullet at SAAMI spec is into the lands.

I would check your measurements, something doesn't seem right (obviously). You are either too long and 2.750 is not your length, or you aren't bumping your shoulder enough. That, or your confusing the cocking of the bolt as brass pressure.

I would pump the breaks, and double check everything and not just buy more powder and bullets.

Good luck
Steve

I would take the rifle back to your gunsmith and let an experienced eye look at the rifle after you explain your problems to him.Take some of your reloads with you. I would bet that he ran some representative rounds through your rifle to check the function before he gave it back to you. If he is worth his salt he won't want your rifle to do anything other than work perfectly.

Again, I dont think it's a bullet or seating issue, unless your barrel was chambered with a really short free bore like a 95' Palma reamer. Even then you can get a 168 matching out to 2.750 and just barely kiss the lands.

Check your sizing set up with your brass. Chamber a resized empty case w/o feeding from the magazine and see if its tight.

Do you have a headspace gauge to check loaded rounds?

You say you are new to reloading. I will tell you to start over with all of your reloading processes. You are making a mistake and in your mind you don't even know it. Most, if not all, of your good manuals explain step by step. Watch youtube videos. This is something that takes time to get good at and to get great results. It will come, just don't push it too fast. Take you time and double check all your steps.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.