.308 Nosler 175gr. RDF

Unlucky lefty

Howdy all. I'm pretty new to the world of long rang shooting. I've been reloading for about 8 years now but was usually just shooting out 100yd. Recently i picked up a Remington 700 LH heavy barreled .308 win. with the HS precision stock. Its got a 26in. barrel with a 1 in 12 twist. I've been trying to load the Nosler 175gr. RDFs in it. I've been having major issues though trying to get the bullets to seat to the same depth. For some reason get about .005" + or - variance in my Ogive between any 5 loads. I started with just a cheap Lee die (which just fine with the Hornady 168gr. BTHP and the Speer 125gr. TNTs that i loaded for another rifle.) I then borrowed a RCBS seating die from a buddy and was still having the same issues. Finally figured out that the bullets where hitting the top of the seater plug. So afer doing some research I finally decided to upgrade and bought a Redding seater die and the VLD bullet seating micrometer thinking that all my issues would be resolved, but they are not. The bullets are no longer bottoming out in the plug but I'm still getting the variance in my Ogive. I've measured the Ogive of just the bullets and their all the same as well as the over all length of the bullet. Any help or advise that anyone give would be greatly appreciated.

I use the 140 RDF's and they're quite similar in length so I doubt the variety in is due to bullet OAL. If you're loading compressed and the powder is pushing back and you have uneven neck tension, you could be having the powder press the bullet out after seating. I had that with some longer bullets that I was trying to seat mag length but with a high powder charge.

The powder push could be the issue, or it could be a combination of issues, like overly-compressed load (push), weak neck tension (if you use a bushing die, might go down another .001" in size), or you could need to replace your brass, or if it's fairly new brass, have it annealed to help decrease the work-hardening and help restore elasticity.

One way to combat the powder push would be to swap powders to something faster, where your load is not as compressed. For example, if you're using a slow powder like H4350 or RL17, you might want to drop down to Varget or CFE-223. The faster burning powders create more energy, which produces more pressure with lighter charge weights.

For my .308 Win, I use Varget. Works great from 168's to 210/215's.

i have found the longer ogive, high bc bullets, the more inconsistant your oal length is. i seat them a little long, then seperate into groups and go back and seat them all to the same length

MudRunner2005 I'm useing 3 times fired lapua brass. I tried just useing a reduced load of RL-15 making sure their was no powder compression. Sill having the same issue. And at the moment I'm just useing an rcbs neck die.

I had similar issues seating the 170grn .277 bergers. The stem was leaving a small indented ring on the bullets and based on slight variations in neck tension, seating depth was varying about the same as yours. I bedded the stem to those bullets and annealed my brass. Problem solved.

I pulled the seating stem out of the die and cleaned everything thoroughly with brake cleaner. I took a loaded round and smeared neutral shoe polish on it for a release agent as well as the inside of the die itself. I used jb weld myself but there are plenty of other options out there. Mixed it up and applied to the inside of the stem. Put die together in the press and cycled loaded round until it was making good contact between the bullet and stem. I pulled everything apart when the excess compound I had was getting stiff and cleaned the die out. Put everything back together and wait for it to set up. After it was set up, I took an .025" drill and ran in it to account for any variation in metplat length.

I pulled the seating stem out of the die and cleaned everything thoroughly with brake cleaner. I took a loaded round and smeared neutral shoe polish on it for a release agent as well as the inside of the die itself. I used jb weld myself but there are plenty of other options out there. Mixed it up and applied to the inside of the stem. Put die together in the press and cycled loaded round until it was making good contact between the bullet and stem. I pulled everything apart when the excess compound I had was getting stiff and cleaned the die out. Put everything back together and wait for it to set up. After it was set up, I took an .025" drill and ran in it to account for any variation in metplat length.
That you I'm deffinetly gonna try that. Now I just gotta get set up to anneal my brass

I just use the drill, socket and map torch method as seen on YouTube. Pretty easy as long as your brass is good and clean. Carbon or case lube will give false colors.

Couesaddict thank you very much for the advice on bedding the seating plug to the bullet. I finally got to do this last night and tryed it out today and it solved my problem. They all seat to the exact same length.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.