.308 long range and hunting rifle

Motoman006

Okay I'm sure it's been asked because I have been reading extensively into the subject

I'm looking for a rifle I can shoot out to 800 yards and still hold groups
As well as take hunting and shoot a deer at a short or long distance

what I'm asking is what would be the best out of box rifle for this? Savage? Remington? Tikka? Howa?
I've read so much burnt out on the subject and came here for help

What are you opinions?

$1000 price range and another $800 for glass

Please don't say a custom rifle, if I like the long range shooting I plan on having a 6.5 built
I'm looking for bestout of box accuracy, for now I am using factory loads but will be reloading as my cousin has the set up and is willing to teach me everything

Anyhow let me know opinions
I was looking at savage and remington but open to options
Thanks ahead of time! Any input is greatly appreciated

Remington 700 5R Milspec 24" .308, Vortex Viper HS-T, TPS TSR 30mm low rings, EGW HD 20 MOA base.

You'll break your $1,800 mark, but you should be really happy with that setup.

Thanks for the quick response and that's actually one of the rifles I was looking at
I'll look at that list in the morning as I just got into bed

Was also looking at a savage model 10fcp

Savage FCP HS Precision, Nightforce rail and rings holding a SWFA Super Sniper, this gives you a rifle with a twist rate and mag length that will shoot and handle 215 Berger which is as good as it gets for a precision hunting 308! It's also on budget!
My personal 308 is a Winchester with a Super Sniper 12x, shooting 215 Bergers over 1500 yards holding excellent accuracy and still super sonic. I have zero issues hunting with it to 1000 yards, matches the performance of a couple 6.5x284's I've built only more bullet and a mountain more barrel life.

I think you could pick up a used one and not get anywhere close to your budget. That way you can look at reloading gear and lots of pills. You would have to shop around. People never overshoot their guns unless they live on this site. Picked up a Rem 30-06 at a gunshow that sits in an HS Precision stock, custom barrel, was bedded. Just swapped out the glass and voila. Well under your budget. It's an option. With handloads it's a half minute rifle.

B&G, what velocity you getting with the 215?

Remington 5R. It is amazingly accurate for an out of the box rifle. With that being said, have you looked at the 6.5 Creed? I think it is a better alternative to the .308.

Remington 5R. It is amazingly accurate for an out of the box rifle. With that being said, have you looked at the 6.5 Creed? I think it is a better alternative to the .308.

Yea I have, if you read my post that is going to be the next custom rifle I build is a 6.5creed, right now just looking for a out of box rifle I can use for hunting and range shooting

Yea I have, if you read my post that is going to be the next custom rifle I build is a 6.5creed, right now just looking for a out of box rifle I can use for hunting and range shooting

The only reason I mentioned the Viper HS-T instead of the SWFA SS, is because you said you wanted it for hunting, and for targets from close to long range, so you will want variable magnification. If you were shooting targets only, or only hunting beyond 300 yards, then I would say go with the SWFA SS fixed power scope. But the chance that you will engage targets inside of 300 yards with a fixed power 10x or higher will be a lot of magnification to deal with. But if you plan on target shooting only from 100 on out, then the SWFA SS scopes will save you some money, and are built like tanks. I have a 20x42 MilQuad on my 5R .300 WinMag (I have two 5R's one in .308 Win and one in .300 WinMag).

My 5R .308 has only had a trigger swap, and other than that is 100% factory, and it will shoot 1/4 MOA, and probably better, if I was shooting on a Lead Sled or something other than homemade sandbags. :cool: It loves the Berger 210 VLD's. I have not tried the 215's yet, as I have not bought any.

+1 on the 110FCP HSP! It's a great rifle. I was literally just in the same position as you a few months ago and I'm very happy with my decision to get the Savage. The fit and finish on the stock is quality, the accutrigger is easily adjusted, and out of the box accuracy is second to none. I mean it doesn't get any better than that for a factory rifle.

By the way I have a Nightforce 20 MOA base and 30mm Seekins Precision rings that I'll give you a good deal on if you do decide on the 110 FCP.

Mine is a .300 win mag but since I love whoring out my rifle...

And this is with factory ammo...

Last edited:
Thanks guys I'm pretty stuck between a the savage 10 and the remington 700 5r..
I looked threw a buddies vortex 6-24 and i really like the scope and can be had under $700
Now I just gotta figure out which rifle is for me
im really stuck between the two.. Both seem to be great out of box rifles, only thing I'm reading is since remington got bought out there QC has gone downhill.. Is this the same with the 700 5r?

Thanks guys I'm pretty stuck between a the savage 10 and the remington 700 5r..
I looked threw a buddies vortex 6-24 and i really like the scope and can be had under $700
Now I just gotta figure out which rifle is for me
im really stuck between the two.. Both seem to be great out of box rifles, only thing I'm reading is since remington got bought out there QC has gone downhill.. Is this the same with the 700 5r?

Fact of the matter is that both rifles will outshoot you from the factory. Accuracy is going to be very comparable, and which is "better" all boils down to personal preference. There's a lot of hype surrounding 5-R barreling, but I've yet to see one outperform a Savage. This is one of those instances where you really can't go wrong with either of your options.

One thing I will say about the Remington is that the X-Mark trigger is complete and utter crap. So if that's the route you do decide to take, I would switch it out for a Timney or Jewell trigger asap. Might as well bed the action while you're in there. Adjusting the accutrigger on the other hand is a breeze and feels just as good as any other trigger I've felt.

Fwiw, my decision was between the two same exact rifles (in .300wm) and ultimately came down to which I could get cheaper and which one was in stock.

For me the stock on the Savage fits me like a glove and the trigger is good, the stock on the Rem does not fit me, I absolutely hate it and I change them right out of the gate along with the trigger.

I have the Viper PST 6-24 FFP and its a phenomenal scope for the money. I would do some shopping around, thought I heard some place was offering 15% off on vortex scopes and midway won't have them back in stock for God knows how long.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.