.308 Load for Multiple Rifles?

TORCHRIDER

I want to put together a single .308 load using a 178 AMAX to be used across a Larue AR and 3 bolt guns.
While I realize I would best be served by developing a separate load for each rifle, I want to have a single load on hand that I can run in any of the rifles.
I am not looking for bench rest accuracy as these guns will be used for hunting and Battle Rifle use.
I have about 2k Hornady 178 AMAX on hand.
For powders I have Varget, CFE223, 8208XBR. Can get others as necessary (I have a source).

Are there any known loads that shoot decently in almost any rifle (Pet Loads)
I assume I should build the load around the AR Magazine OAL? I assume anything loaded for an AR mag will be well off the lands in a bolt gun?
How do you suggest I go about this?

If I was looking for a single load to load for several .308's without any load development I would look at what people are running to duplicate Federal Gold Medal 168 and 175 SMK loadings. For the most part, they're all pretty mild and SHOULD be safe in multiple rifles and Federal GMM is known to just work.

Easy to do with a FGM case, 210M primer, a Seirra 168MK and Varget. Shoots well in everything. 178 Amax may be a little trickier, but I would have to think if you work it up in the auto, the bolts should be happy, not estatic, but happy. Might not work so well the other way around.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I would buy some GMM to run over the chrono but you know what my chances are in scoring any kind of ammo are right now. :-(

It is a non canister grade of powder you cannot buy. Varget is closest. Lake City loads H335 in both 556 and 762. No idea where Federal gets their powder.

With usual work up up caveat try XBR 8208 at 42gr with your favorite 175-178 gr it's been my all around go to for several 308's.
I use Varget for heavier competition bullets for FClass type work but for what you want I would highly recommend.
I only have a few "pet" loads and this is one of them... I have an unusual one for the Creedmoor with ARComp too but that's another story.

Any experience with that load in Lake City brass? What brass do you use?

With usual work up up caveat try XBR 8208 at 42gr with your favorite 175-178 gr it's been my all around go to for several 308's.
I use Varget for heavier competition bullets for FClass type work but for what you want I would highly recommend.
I only have a few "pet" loads and this is one of them... I have an unusual one for the Creedmoor with ARComp too but that's another story.

I use mainly Lapua but have also used Nosler and Norma but no LC.
I won't live long enough to use up all the Lapua 308 brass I have.

Guys, wanted to give you an update. I ran some ladders with the 178 AMAX and Varget. I ended up with 44 grains being the best. It shoots 1/2 MOA out of my 20" Rem 700 in XLR chassis and 1 MOA out of my Larue 18" AR. Also of note is that this load shoots an average of 2505 FPS out of both barrels with a SD of 7 and 9. I have since shot 50 rounds between the two out to 300 and they are consistent. Guess I lucked out. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Must be 2505
Yes, I meant to type 2505. I am happy with this velocity and accuracy. Primers are just starting to flatten and no ejector swipes. Really surprised the velocity is identical out of an 18" and 20" barrel. Both are 1 in 10 twist. I chronoed them several times with 5 shot groups over an Oheler 35 and they were consistent.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.