308 load development?

Ok my wife has a moose hunt coming up, she's going to use her 308 savage. I have it shooting 150g Sierra pro hunters 1/2" or so. I also have it shooting 168 Sierra tmk 1/2" or better. So I wanted a heavier and better penetrating bullet for the moose hunt so I ordered some 166g shock hammers. Anyways I run a Satterlee latter test with them had a flat line at 41.8-42. So I loaded 41.9 and grouped them and they shot a 2" group. Kind of disappointed so far. Could it be the seating depth? The tmks took some work with seating depth to get them to shoot but when I got it they shoot good. The powder used was varget, primers Winchester large rifle, and Winchester brass that's been prepped. So I'm just kind of worried with getting closer to hunting season. Velocity was 2707 for 41.8 and 2706 for 42g. Any advice would be great. This gun does have a 20" barrel too.
Yeah like the others suggested clean your barrel of all other jacket material. That's generally your best bet to get accuracy out of monos or even some of the bonded bullets like the AccuBond. I found the Partitions to be forgiving of other jacket material. I know Chub Eastman took a moose with a 165 gr Partition out of a 30-06. I felt it was a bit light but he had no issues with it and I can't argue with someone with his knowledge or experience.

With regards to some of the comments on the this thread. The OP is asking for help developing a load for the Hammer bullets he purchased. He's not asking for other bullet choices. He's asking specifically for load info on his 308, shooting a specific bullet. This is how threads get sidetracked on here and we all end up reading a bunch of useless info when someone is looking for some real guidance. No disrespect meant here, but think about if the OP wants to spend his time reading through all of this, many of the posts have nothing to do with his desire for help. Again, no disrespect meant but just my observation. I'm guilty of this at times but have paid a lot more attention lately to try and not derail a OPs thread.

**updated**

Last edited:
Ok, Getting sick of the smugness'. I did apologize for daring to try to join the conversation, but I never suggested in any way that the 115 target bullet was suitable or useful for game. The reference was made to suggest that perhaps the old style IMR 3031 powder might be a useful consideration in the load development of a game round in a short barreled rifle. Sorry I was mistaken .For a moment I thought I was talking to friends.

Reading these messages I'm confused. I've always been taught having a fouled barrel was a good thing but I see several comments here about deep cleaning the barrel. I have several precision rifles that are extremely accurate that I've not cleaned since the barrel was broke in.

Reading these messages I'm confused. I've always been taught having a fouled barrel was a good thing but I see several comments here about deep cleaning the barrel. I have several precision rifles that are extremely accurate that I've not cleaned since the barrel was broke in.
Use what works. I can go 200 rounds in some of mine before a good cleaning is needed. There hunting rifles but I know when they need the work. Throats look fine. I do alot of range work with them all year and hunt with them in fall. Some need cleaning much sooner.

Ok my wife has a moose hunt coming up, she's going to use her 308 savage. I have it shooting 150g Sierra pro hunters 1/2" or so. I also have it shooting 168 Sierra tmk 1/2" or better. So I wanted a heavier and better penetrating bullet for the moose hunt so I ordered some 166g shock hammers. Anyways I run a Satterlee latter test with them had a flat line at 41.8-42. So I loaded 41.9 and grouped them and they shot a 2" group. Kind of disappointed so far. Could it be the seating depth? The tmks took some work with seating depth to get them to shoot but when I got it they shoot good. The powder used was varget, primers Winchester large rifle, and Winchester brass that's been prepped. So I'm just kind of worried with getting closer to hunting season. Velocity was 2707 for 41.8 and 2706 for 42g. Any advice would be great. This gun does have a 20" barrel too.
I have a 308 that I recently have been developing a load for. I tried full work ups with Tac, BLC2, exterminator, power2000 and some others and couldn't get the results I wanted. 3/4" was the best I could get. Then I loaded some up in RL15 and have several powder charges that I can put bullets through the same hole. I was really surprised how so many powders were a no go and then found one that works so well

Ok, Getting sick of the smugness'. I did apologize for daring to try to join the conversation, but I never suggested in any way that the 115 target bullet was suitable or useful for game. The reference was made to suggest that perhaps the old style IMR 3031 powder might be a useful consideration in the load development of a game round in a short barreled rifle. Sorry I was mistaken .For a moment I thought I was talking to friends.
You are don't be easily offended were all guilty of side tracking sometimes I'm sure your 3031 powder recommendation will be taken into consideration

You are among friends and I meant no offense but my reply to your post was 100% spot on, no smugness intended, once again I mean no offense but you my as well suggested he switch to a Needmoor

It is but when switching to Hammer Bullets a clean barrel in imperative