.308 load data/barrel break in...?

awesomeame

Hi I'm new! I just bought a Kimber 84M LPT in .308, carrying a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50 4A illuminated. I have not shot the rifle yet, it's at the 'smith now because the action is kind of rough so he's going to polish it up for me and whatever else.

I would like to develop a hunting load in ~120gr and also in 180gr. Can anyone point me to some .308 load data websites or info?

I was also wondering about barrel break-in. I've never worried about it previously, but I'm in no rush to go hunting with this unit so I want to do it right this time. I "was" going to fire through 100rnds of FMJ's, cleaning every 20rnds to check to see how much copper fouling there is, letting the barrel cool every 5rnds. Does this sound good, or are there other opinions?

Looks like a great website

Matt

Hi I'm new! I just bought a Kimber 84M LPT in .308, carrying a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50 4A illuminated. I have not shot the rifle yet, it's at the 'smith now because the action is kind of rough so he's going to polish it up for me and whatever else.

I would like to develop a hunting load in ~120gr and also in 180gr. Can anyone point me to some .308 load data websites or info?

I was also wondering about barrel break-in. I've never worried about it previously, but I'm in no rush to go hunting with this unit so I want to do it right this time. I "was" going to fire through 100rnds of FMJ's, cleaning every 20rnds to check to see how much copper fouling there is, letting the barrel cool every 5rnds. Does this sound good, or are there other opinions?

Looks like a great website

Matt

Welcome Matt.

I prefer the method of break in that fires one shot and cleans and repeats this at least 10
times or more.

If you do it this way you can tell when it's broke in because it will start to come clean easier
each time and at some point only one or two patches will be nessary.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.