308 kicked @$$

Often thought of getting electronic hearing protection, but never spent the bucks to do it. I just carry my ear muffs above my ears and move them down when shot presents itself. Have been doing that for years when I started to realize that these short pistols were starting to have an effect on my hearing. Don't think I've ever spooked an animal yet doing it...that I remember.

While I absolutely agree with your statement for using hearing protection, I will say that not all hunting situations lend themselves to putting on/in protection before taking the shot. When I hunt in AZ, it seems like I have all the time in the world to get ready before a shot. When I hunt in PA, opportunities last mere seconds. More than not you don't have time to put on protection before taking a shot. My solution is a suppressor which isn't as good as muffs but much better than nothing.
I agree. Wonder if anyone else has this same experience. I have never heard a single shot I fired in anger or at an animal. My ears never rang. Maybe its adrenaline or some other mechanism but its true. If I fire one round without ear protection correctly in place my ear/ears will ring for weeks. Go figure. They make custom fitted enhanced hearing protection that is comfortable and never in the way. My hearing is like the dinosaurs, gone. However, I was wearing an old pair of electronics yrs ago and actually heard a bear walking up behind me. I find them invaluable today, as I lip read now because my hearing is so bad. Covid masks made me look so stupid I actually took to wearing my electronic hearing protection to the supermarkets, etc. for the past year.
They used to be expensive. Today they are ridiculously inexpensive.

Mudman. If you dm me and give me your paypal address I will contribute to your purchase. We gotta help where we can.
Man, I thank you, but everything is taking care of. Dad has the Walkers game ears that he doesn't use any more, I got a 243 barrel from flintlock, this sight is very helpful . Thank you so much

Man, I thank you, but everything is taking care of. Dad has the Walkers game ears that he doesn't use any more, I got a 243 barrel from flintlock, this sight is very helpful . Thank you so much
We always help each other here.
best
Gary

After about 40 years with a 7-08 I have concluded that reduced loads help, and more weight helps. I also prefer the center grip to the rear grip. I just finished a 338 Federal and found it to be "frisky" with full loads at 6 lb. Next tests will be reduced loads and 7 lb,

After about 40 years with a 7-08 I have concluded that reduced loads help, and more weight helps. I also prefer the center grip to the rear grip. I just finished a 338 Federal and found it to be "frisky" with full loads at 6 lb. Next tests will be reduced loads and 7 lb,

Do you have a brake on your 338 Fed?

no Brake. I prefer a more "conventional" approach. With the .338, I use 185 and 200 gr, and for hunting with the XP, the Hornady FTX may be ideal to get expansion below 2000 fps,