308 kicked @$$

If you keep shooting without ear protection you won't be able to hear either. Plus your autonomic nervous system will anticipate the muzzle blast and your body will automatically develop a flinch!!! I had a 7mm-08 (Browning micro-medallion) with a muzzle break on it, it was the noisiest rifle I ever owned. Less recoil, yes by all means, but........muzzle blast was terrible. I have a 23% hearing loss in both ears from shooting at an early age (60 years ago) without ear protection, now almost as deaf as an anvil. Vanity prevents me from getting hearing aids. I know some people hunt with ear protection, however I do not hunt it on, but...............this is he only time that my ears do get exposed to muzzle blast.
My hearing has been gone from the army for a many years now. I wear protection when bench shooting. I don't know how this post got so far off track, it was about an encore pistol kicking my butt. I do thank you

I see this all the time in the archery world. People want to change to something more in tune with their needs but then also want to control the narrative.

If you keep shooting without ear protection you won't be able to hear either. Plus your autonomic nervous system will anticipate the muzzle blast and your body will automatically develop a flinch!!! I had a 7mm-08 (Browning micro-medallion) with a muzzle break on it, it was the noisiest rifle I ever owned. Less recoil, yes by all means, but........muzzle blast was terrible. I have a 23% hearing loss in both ears from shooting at an early age (60 years ago) without ear protection, now almost as deaf as an anvil. Vanity prevents me from getting hearing aids. I know some people hunt with ear protection, however I do not hunt it on, but...............this is he only time that my ears do get exposed to muzzle blast.
I am right there with you but I am in my 70th year

Your right about the hearing protection, when I was in the army, I was on the m60a3 tank, our protection was not the best, that is where I lost most of it
They didn't have anything in Vietnam either. I was in an Armor Troop with Tanks, and APC. I was even with a muzzle 152mm tank barrel gun, when they touch it off. An APC I was on we hit a 40lbs landmine. Twice I didn't hear anything for several minutes after each time. They have been ring from that time going forward.
You should be able to go to the VA and get hearing aids, and some help with that. It's a little easier now than 20 years ago.

My hearing has been gone from the army for a many years now. I wear protection when bench shooting. I don't know how this post got so far off track, it was about an encore pistol kicking my butt. I do thank you
Yup...............I'm with you on that. However sometimes these threads to go sideways a bit. Oftentimes that is what makes them so interesting.👍👍👍

Here are a couple of 125-130gr bullets for making reduced recoil loads in your 308 Encore. INSTOCK at this writing.

And here is an IN STOCK 150gr RN 30-30 bullet that allows for reduced recoil/vel loads and works well even down to low vels.

Last edited:
just my 2 cents -
243 and 7mm-08 are both good rounds.
I have a Mauser M18 in 243 and I get 3/4" groups at 100 yds. I shoot 95gr Berger Classic Hunter bullets, but I recently went up to .308 because the 243 just doesn't have the knockdown the .308 does and I lost a couple deer in the swamp after heart shots here in SC.
7mm-08 has bigger bullets (and seem to be easier to find) so would be better, but .243 had taken a lot of deer. If it's an area where you'll be able to track or do neck shots, it is a very light recoil.

I am deaf in right ear so I got a set of Walker electronic earbuds and they are great. They amplify the sound so I can hear deer walking easily, but any sounds above 85db is knocked out. Shot 50 rounds of .308 testing various loads and my ears were not even ringing at all and was able to carry on conversations easily.

Good luck -

No doubt that larger diameter bullets/heavier bullets have an advantage, all things being equal.
6mm does a great job of killing.
Bullet selection is more important.
As always, shot placement trumps all.
I will intentionally choose double shoulder shot, if cover is heavy and I need to drop it on the spot.
The OP is getting a 243 Winchester barrel.
I have killed a number of deer and antelope with a 6mm.

No doubt that larger diameter bullets/heavier bullets have an advantage, all things being equal.
6mm does a great job of killing.
Bullet selection is more important.
As always, shot placement trumps all.
I will intentionally choose double shoulder shot, if cover is heavy and I need to drop it on the spot.
The OP is getting a 243 Winchester barrel.
I have killed a number of deer and antelope with a 6mm.
I like the 85gr bthp, it's a good one

I traded Mudman02 an almost new Encore 243 , 15" with break and cerekote that I had Chris Rhodes fix up for his 15" Encore 308. He should be getting it any day. He will love it with the 87 and 90 grain loads. Very little recoil. It is not as loud as I thought it might be. I sent the .308 to Chris Rhodes this am for a Harrel Break, and Matt black cerekote. I want to install a rifle scope on it for some good load testing and maybe some shooting farther that I have been with the other Encores.
Mike

I traded Mudman02 an almost new Encore 243 , 15" with break and cerekote that I had Chris Rhodes fix up for his 15" Encore 308. He should be getting it any day. He will love it with the 87 and 90 grain loads. Very little recoil. It is not as loud as I thought it might be. I sent the .308 to Chris Rhodes this am for a Harrel Break, and Matt black cerekote. I want to install a rifle scope on it for some good load testing and maybe some shooting farther that I have been with the other Encores.
Mike
Thank you for your help, looking forward to hunting season