.308 Hornady hunting bullet

jkward

I Have recently started reloading, and am trying to find a good Long range hunting bullet. I've been using Hornady A Max 168gr. But I recently read an article that said that was not a hunting bullet. According to Hornady's site it is? Any advice would be appreciated. I understand different bullets will work differently in different barrels. I just want to know what I should start out with that will be a good long range shooter, and hunter.

I shoot the 168 Amax in one of my 308's. I have shot deer and antelope with it and have had no problems whatsoever. If your rifle shoots them well, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

You can, but be aware it will expand like this:
2545118.jpg

Try the Hornady IB. theyre supposed to be same load data and high B.C. as the SST. Ive tried the SST, and got jacket/core seperation. But the IB is bonded so it should do well.

I use the 168 amax in my 308 for muntjac to red deer and it is a great killer and very accurate.

find a good load and then just shoot !

Friend of mine shot a decent 3x4 mule deer last fall with a 168 SST out of a .308 at <100yards. Hit it square in the near side shoulder and the bullet was recovered just under the hide on the far side, deer died on the spot. Bullet retained >80% of its original weight. I wouldn't hesitate to use them at .308 velocities, I may rethink that if I were using a '06 or .300 win mag or other uber magnum. The IBs are prohibitively expensive IMHO.

My choice is the Interbond.They shoot quite well from my rifles,they can smash right through a lot of bone and keep on going.I've never recovered an Interbond.They do have a long ogive,so check your seating depth,get them out near your lands and they should shoot really good.As far as the price goes,they are still packed by the 100,they are a premium bullet and if you shop around a little you can find them listed at the upper 30's to the lower 40's price range which is no higher than any other premium bullet.

I've killed white tail deer with 155 Grain AMAX out of a 300 RUM shot em up close yeah the bullet blew up but so did the deer and I never tracked them ! If your looking at shooting your .308 at long ranges then I would stay with the AMAX when your velocity slows down @ 500 yards and further then your AMAX will began to act just like the "Hunting" bullets but with better accuracy . In my opinion the AMAX will really shine at extended ranges . Or you could consider a Berger .

BigBuck

Thanks for all the advice, I went yesterday and bought the Hornday SST 165 gr. From what I've read on these they should perform like the AMAX. But I guess I'll find out after I shoot a few.

Yep, That's what I use 165Gr SST in my .308 works great on larger animals here.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the advice, I went yesterday and bought the Hornday SST 165 gr. From what I've read on these they should perform like the AMAX. But I guess I'll find out after I shoot a few.

IMHO the Amax line of bullets is a dream come true for 308 shooters. The reason being is that they open up and expand at very low velocities. This makes them less than ideal for large magnums but great for slower calibers like the 308. I have seen them expand on soft targets below 1400 FPS. This increases the effective range of the 308 conciderably. These act the opposite of the SMK. With the SMK, they can be very unpredictable. The Amax's are very predictable. Because of their softer nature, most (including myself) dont recomend them for anything larger than deer but they are very good for up to deer. I personally have taken quite a few critters with the Amax's ranging from the 155 through the 178's. The 168's and 178's have done the best for me from a terminal standpoint. These have better BC's than most other 'hunting' bullets and are deadly accurate. You should at least try them once and see for yourself. If youre not happy with them then try somethiing else. I have a feeling that you will be plesently suprised.

M

Hornady SST's and Berger Hunting VLD's. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.