308 Groups 180 Berger

DoubleGobble00

I shot a few groups for load development today. Not sure how well these are since it's new brass. Some of the velocity readings seemed good.

Varget
Lapua new brass
210M
180 Berger
260 yards

20b8d6bd4c2bdfc93b84e0ff1666ced4.jpg

753a306ed48d7cf0e01bdfb4030696dd.jpg

fc577352bb6855818cfd8a4511285a2d.jpg

3dead45ab5516e5fb4b007b0f591c560.jpg

DoubleG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How many yards were you shooting those at? My 180g Berger EH load ended up at 43.4g Varget in Lapua brass and I'm getting 2,583fps with an SD of 7 and ES of 19 out of 20" Proof Carbon barrel.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like we are real close to the same. These were shot at 260 yards which was the most I could get.

I'm shooting a Savage 10 with 26" barrel in McMillan stock. That's probably why my velocity is higher than yours.

Two yrs ago I had a load that consistently shot verticals in the .2s (moa) at 200 with 178 Hornadys. My last 308 hunting rifle would consistently put 165 SMKs into under .4 at 200 using unprepped Lake City brass, which is more than enough to kill deer as far as I am willing to take a shot.

For 300 to 600 yards you don't need heavy bullets, in fact the heavy boat tailed bullets are just beginning to pay dividends as you get to 600. Inside of that there are lots of bullets that will work very well, including flat based bullets (which if I understand it correctly is what the short range BR guys use) like the Sierra Pro Hunters series of bullets.

It will take the average shooter quite a while to learn the skill to consistently shoot under .5 no matter what the rifle can do. My gunsmith once told me he liked building rifles for me because I never brought them back complaining that they wouldn't group with surplus eastern European ammo.

have you read about Eric Cortinas long range load development at 100 yards ? from that way of thinking I would start messing around with seating depth @43.8, 44 curious where 44.5 would have landed

I've never read about that method. What does it entail?

I'm trying to keep Mag length but I may have to abandon that theory since it's a jump. I may have to see how longer seating depth works

Yuppers. Find the tightest vertical using the powder charge,,, then find tune the rest with seating depth.

Some of our shooters do this in reverse,,, but both of these methods work good

definitely not the best or complete description but pretty much rather than group size es/sd you would be looking for a node where the groups are very similar where they land in regards to the point of aim for a starting point probably could type it in to google and find it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.