.308 for 400 Yard Whitetail

pepe

I deer hunt with a Remington Model Seven KS in .308. 20" barrel with 1:10 twist. This year I had a 435 yard shot that I didn't make. I'm planning to start reloading to tighten my groups, and hopefully making that a reasonable shot for me in the future. What bullet would you recommend that I start with? Thanks.

If your gonna limit your shots to 500yds then I would suggest the 155gr A-max bullet. They shoot flat out to 500yds before the lower BC startes to get obvious.

I'd get my self a big bottle of Varget as it'll work great with all bullet weights in the 308 , it meters very well , it burns clean and its not temp sensitive. You can get a little higher Velocities with Vihta Vuori's N-550 powder but the added velocity may not be worth the hassel of trying to find the powder.
Start with 47grs of the Varget and work your way up , I can get to 50grs in all of my guns with very little pressure signs and the velocity is around 3100fps. With 47-49 grs out of a 20" barrel you should be able to get close to 3000fps , that speed with the 155 A-max wil work great on deer out to 500yds.
If you plan to shoot farther then I'd step up to the heavier higher BC bullets

pepe, how much target shooting are you doing out to that range? In addition to working up good loads I've found I really have to try them out at the actual ranges. I've had ammo that groups great at 100 yards but not at 200/300/400 yards while other loads were still stable farther out. I've found that I need all the practice I can get out to long range. In other words, try to do as much shooting with any kind of ammo you have out as far as possible.

With the 20" barrel on my LTR I get highest velocities with IMR-4895 when using 165gr bullets. I would use any of the usual go to .308 powders like Varget, Rl-15, TAC etc and pretty much any 165gr bullet. Find a combo that will give you the best accuracy and have at it. I have had success with Hornady A-maxs, SST's and the standard Interlocks. This season I used Speer 165gr SP and BTSP's and they performed as expected. Used on on 1/4'ng towards shot at 120yds it broke the near shoulder, traveled the length of the torso and found in the opposite side hip. Weighed in at 135grs, no jacket separation and a perfect mushroom.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.