308 factory loads

timmymic

What is the best factory 308 load for hunting deer to 500 yrds and some target shooting?

what ever your gun will shoot accuritely out to 500 yards ;-} try many rounds from rem ,win ,fed ,and may try black hills and hsm to in many weights from 155 to 175ish.

P.S. not tring to be a smart a** there but youll have to find the load that your rifle likes best ;-}

Tim...

On that tack, I'd recommend Federal Gold Medal Match in 168 grain FMJBT's... and you wind up with nice reloadable brass.

I can not believe you just recommended a FMJ for hunting let alone a match bullet.

Definitely don't use a fmj bullet because most states it is illegal and the do not expand.

Ok first try win. super-x 150 soft points then the 180s
Next rem. Core lokt 150 and 180
Then the may hornadays

If you see the pattern yet its try the cheapest first and go up.

I was just thinking about asking if I just change the bullet design/manufaturer, or if I am also changing weight but you pretty much summed that up! does anyone know if the hsm with the 168 bergers are good. i have heard alot about them being good for hunting but are they pretty accurate?

I can not believe you just recommended a FMJ for hunting let alone a match bullet.

Definitely don't use a fmj bullet because most states it is illegal and the do not expand.

Ok first try win. super-x 150 soft points then the 180s
Next rem. Core lokt 150 and 180
Then the may hornadays

If you see the pattern yet its try the cheapest first and go up.

You are right, I have to retract that. Had something on my mind other that what I was entering. Yesterday was a long day here.

Lets go Federal 308, 168 grain SMK, BTHP

Good or bad? Nosler customs and Trophy grade? The energy seems to be there out to 500 yrds but how are the actually bullets do the expand well?

If you are shooting deer and your rifle likes them, I have had good results with Federal Premium 150gr Ballistic Tips.

ok question... when did federal start making good rounds? i am just getting into real shooting but i remember as a kid federals being the cheap junk!

man things change a lot when i was a kid Rims. where the way to go (and i know im stiring the fire here but ) but now i more of a savage kinda guy and i well never buy anouther box of Rim. rifle ammo but thats me.

heck i even grew up shooting 870s and 11-87s now its all benelli ;-}

haha wow do things change! Now if remington would just start coming out with some fun cals in left handed

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.