.308 elk hunting

That's hard to do, pie size 3 shots in 10 seconds from standing position. That is about as hard as the Brit's Mad Minute with their bolt guns.

I have seen a lot of people struggle to score 15 hits in 50 seconds on an E size silhouette at 600 yards in rattle battle using an M14/M1a. The shooters are already slung up in prone under the command "Load and be ready" then the targets go up.
No doubt. I think most PRS matches are in the neighborhood of 8-10 seconds per shot (including your setup and movement).

I know everyone has said the .847 group isn't bad, but for me it's a confidence thing. The more accurate my rifle can be the more I trust my shots. Also this is a once in a lifetime hunt for me and the more confidence I can have in my gun the better I feel about having a successful hunt. For 436 I have a savage 110 with a proof research carbon barrel.

I'm the same way about group size. Having shot elk, let me say the elk is a MUCH larger animal than a deer. On a broadside shot, you can kill the animal reliably if you put it inside of a pizza pan diameter. This is not prairie dog hunting. AND we forget that a 4" group is only a 2" deviation from point of aim.
Rl15 gave me more speed than varget and had equal accuracy... something to consider.
My group all killed bulls quickly with Berger bullets. The 168 was used in the 308. It went thru the onside shoulder and exited the offside pit on a 6x6 at 408 yards. Dead in 20 yards.
I personally don't like the barnes bullets for moderately fast rounds and extended distances. There's a strong likelihood they pencil thru.
An accubond, partition, lighter weight hammer, or heavier SST(180) gets my vote.

That's hard to do, pie size 3 shots in 10 seconds from standing position. That is about as hard as the Brit's Mad Minute with their bolt guns.

I have seen a lot of people struggle to score 15 hits in 50 seconds on an E size silhouette at 600 yards in rattle battle using an M14/M1a. The shooters are already slung up in prone under the command "Load and be ready" then the targets go up.

Offhand yes, it'd be hard but keep in mind the part where I said "hit the turf"...IE hit the ground and go off a bipod or day pack:) That makes the game interesting but not impossible for the practiced...IMO

Offhand yes, it'd be hard but keep in mind the part where I said "hit the turf"...IE hit the ground and go off a bipod or day pack:) That makes the game interesting but not impossible for the practiced...IMO
I would like to a video of that, hit the ground 3 shots, 3 hits in 10 seconds at 500. How many times have you done it?

Prone off a rest (bipod)?

The language Dogz used is hit the turf, assume it is from any position, sitting, kneeling, or standing then drop to prone. Use pack, bipod or any front rest, and fire away with the time starting from the initial position before prone.

All I am saying that pretty hard to accomplish. One preciaion shot in 10 seconds it is doable.

I get it bamban, one has to be on top of their game but it is more than doable. One shot in 10 seconds on a plate even at 500 isn't exactly precision in my book. When I started these tests years ago it was because some key board guy on a hunt form said to do it in under 30 seconds would be the goal. I took to it and then modified it a skosh.

We're all wound differently, and we all have differing skill sets. To some this will be tough at 200 let alone much further. My point isn't about what I or you or anyone else can do. The fella said he wanted to be good to go to 500, hence my comment about 500 yards. Just a measure I've used over the years to help people get ready to go and as they wish to learn to go further this is a tool we've used.

Just one way to fly for people to consider.........

Now back to killing elk, I like that talk mucho more...grins

The language Dogz used is hit the turf, assume it is from any position, sitting, kneeling, or standing then drop to prone. Use pack, bipod or any front rest, and fire away with the time starting from the initial position before prone.

All I am saying that pretty hard to accomplish. One preciaion shot in 10 seconds it is doable.
God I hate commenting like this but here goes. I have a 500 yard range. It's boring shooting at 500 yards for me with any center-fire rifle I own. Like anything else, the more you do something, the better you become. Putting 10 shots on a 5" steel plate is pretty easy in 30 seconds with a bolt gun. Targets aren't live game animals. That Steel plate sits still forever.

I got an elk hunt coming up in November and the gun I'm taking is a .308 Winchester with a 22in barrel. I have Varget powder and BR-2 primers that I am using. I have Barnes 168gr ttsx, 200gr Hornady eldx, 185gr Berger classic hunter, and Barnes 180gr ttsx. I've ran tests with the Barnes 168gr ttsx and I've gotten the best accuracy with 40.5 gr of powder and a OAL of 2.800. The only problem with that is I only get a muzzle velocity of 1514 fps. I want to be able to take a shot out to 500 yards max, and by max I mean absolutely last resort. Mostly I want to plan for a shot below 350. Now I know people will say to just bump up the powder, but I am a firm believer in accuracy and shot placement over things like fps and kenetic energy. I also know that fps and kenetic energy aren't irrelevant and do play a large roll in ethically harvesting an animal. The problem was as I went up in powder my .211in group went to a .847in group. Just wanted some opinions on the best option.
1514 fps with 40.5 brains of powder doesn't sound right to me - - - - too low.

I got an elk hunt coming up in November and the gun I'm taking is a .308 Winchester with a 22in barrel. I have Varget powder and BR-2 primers that I am using. I have Barnes 168gr ttsx, 200gr Hornady eldx, 185gr Berger classic hunter, and Barnes 180gr ttsx. I've ran tests with the Barnes 168gr ttsx and I've gotten the best accuracy with 40.5 gr of powder and a OAL of 2.800. The only problem with that is I only get a muzzle velocity of 1514 fps. I want to be able to take a shot out to 500 yards max, and by max I mean absolutely last resort. Mostly I want to plan for a shot below 350. Now I know people will say to just bump up the powder, but I am a firm believer in accuracy and shot placement over things like fps and kenetic energy. I also know that fps and kenetic energy aren't irrelevant and do play a large roll in ethically harvesting an animal. The problem was as I went up in powder my .211in group went to a .847in group. Just wanted some opinions on the best option.
Call Berger, in Sedalia, Missouri for some 185 grain load data...
or LOAD RECOMMENDATIONS.

or, YOU might want to consult with Barnes for Load Data.

VARGET, in my experience, usually performs best
{or, as well as it can}
with a full case of powder or slightly compressed...

I HAVE NEVER found A TRUE win the MATCH GRADE LOAD
with VARGET.
AND, I HAVE *NOT* USED BERGER BULLETS, "YET".

Roughly MOA with VARGET ... ?
Yes. And, that might not win a match.

A bit more speed and accuracy with VARGET can usually be found at 'somewhere near' 100 % case fill.

Hornady Bullets have nearly never been 'match-grade-extremely-highly-accurate', IN MY RIFLES.

Last edited:
You've gotten an earful about the velocity already, and the accuracy is plenty good.

I'd suggest that you use the Berger or Hornady with the modest velocity. If you develop a faster load with the lighter Barnes ttsx it would be good to go. Solid copper need speed.

Wild Bill I would second the mention of 130 gr Barnes bullets.Way more speed but lighter bullets can get moved easier by the wind.
Your call brother.
I have killed many deer and 1 elk with a Barnes 165 gr Tsx at a little over 200 yards but my point is your 168 will get the job done.
This year I will be shooting my 308 also as I have bad back problems and weight is a problem for me and the 308 and 130 gr Barnes don't weigh enough to stop me.At 300 win mag velocities it will tear up much meat,at 30-06 velocities it will also damage much meat but at 308 velocities it will be just right.
Enjoy your hunt and post the results please.

Next time over the chronograph, make sure it's folded out flat (Chrony "folder" style) and bring a small level to check it level to your shooting position. It doesn't take much to throw these off.
Your speed is way off... Varget won't be a barn burner for speed but not that slow.

Recent Posts