.308 elk hunting

Under an inch at 100yds is plenty good. I agree with everyone else. Your velocity is messed up. Obviously a chronograph error. Look at a loading manual, your bullet weight, powder charge, it will give you a number near where you should be. It looks to be 1000 fps off. Does the chrony have a meters/feet button on it? I had a chrony where the sun cooked the display. If you looked at it at the right angle you saw the correct numbers. If you were dead straight on to it you saw 1's. The manufacturer was willing to replace the display, it was out of warranty, the repair cost as much as a new chronograph.

You can't hold the difference between .25 and .8 under most field conditions. You say your personal max limit is 500 yards. Group test your accurate and not so accurate loads at 500 yards using field shooting postions, NOT off the bench. Post the picutes. I will bet you dollars to donuts the groups are very simialr.

I've used the 168 TSX in a NULA .308 on several bull elk and the 150 TTSX on only one bull, but performance seems to be identical. I've always used H4895 as I've gotten slightly better accuracy with it vs. Varget, but, nowadays, if I had only Varget, I'd use it without hesitation. I load the 168 TSX to 2,700 and the 150 TTSX to just under 2,850 as I recall. I've had no problem at ranges up to about 320 yards with the 168 bullet, but I would certainly question reliable expansion at 400 yards or beyond. The TTSX version of the 168 (or 165?) might be slightly better, but I'm not sure the in-the-field difference would be significant.

I make sure to check the chronograph next time I shoot. Checked my powder scale and it is accurate. Appreciate the advice.
Yeah, you really have to get a handle on why your loads are at 1500 fps with 40gr of Varget, what type of chronograph do you have? and what brand and model of scale are you using? How are you, or how did you check them for accuracy?

Velocity is your friend with copper bullets, I load my 308 with 130 grn tsx and, with its 26" barrel, it's getting better than 1 moa and 3100 fps using cfe 223 powder.
I'm going to the range this weekend to zero it and compare 130 tsx, 150 S&B spbt and 165 grain speer spbt. The 165 speers are in front of vihtavouri n-150 fwiw, the others cfe 223. The ballistics say that the bullets all drop within 1" of each other at 350 metres and all in excess of 1800 fps, in my rifle, at that range. My mv figures are from my magnetospeed sport chrono.
I'll let you know the exact figures and accuracy when I've done that.
Our red deer are a slightly smaller version of your elk and I'm confident the 130 tsx will pull the stunt on the day.

Wild Bill,
Congrats on your upcoming Elk hunt. Others have already said this, but I'm piling on too!
- Your 168 TTSX is an outstanding choice for elk to 500 yards, but you'll need to get your speeds up.
- 45-46 grains of Varget is a proven and very popular load and ought to give you 2700 (ish) FPS in your rifle, which is enough speed for the TTSX at 500 yards.
- One MOA accuracy is more than enough for an elk's vitals at 500 yards.

I hear you that confidence is a big deal when shooting and hunting. The inputs you're getting from all these experienced folks here basically echoing what I just wrote, ought to be a great source of confidence that if you make that speed and accuracy happen you are good to go!

Have a great hunt!
Rex

I'm in agreement with the others concerning group size. You will never see a .3 MOA difference in group size in actual field conditions. If you have not been practicing reading the wind and shooting at 500yds then I would suggest getting started immediately. You will quickly learn that wind is going to be your #1 limiting factor, not that .3 MOA difference in group size.

I'm in agreement with the others concerning group size. You will never see a .3 MOA difference in group size in actual field conditions. If you have not been practicing reading the wind and shooting at 500yds then I would suggest getting started immediately. You will quickly learn that wind is going to be your #1 limiting factor, not that .3 MOA difference in group size.
There sure are alot of world championship shooters on this site anymore

You can't hold the difference between .25 and .8 under most field conditions. You say your personal max limit is 500 yards. Group test your accurate and not so accurate loads at 500 yards using field shooting postions, NOT off the bench. Post the picutes. I will bet you dollars to donuts the groups are very simialr.

Personally I'd say get it good at 100, then shoot it off the bench at 500 to see what that load will do at 500.

Then..........pie plate to 500 yards, load 3 rounds, have a friend time and tell you when to hit the turf. Put 3 rounds on the plate in sub 10 seconds and you'll be good to go at that range for elk.

Sorry to say, but we're by far the weakest link......then comes the wind:( (to mess with us)

Personally I'd say get it good at 100, then shoot it off the bench at 500 to see what that load will do at 500.

Then..........pie plate to 500 yards, load 3 rounds, have a friend time and tell you when to hit the turf. Put 3 rounds on the plate in sub 10 seconds and you'll be good to go at that range for elk.

Sorry to say, but we're by far the weakest link......then comes the wind:( (to mess with us)
That's hard to do, pie size 3 shots in 10 seconds from standing position. That is about as hard as the Brit's Mad Minute with their bolt guns.

I have seen a lot of people struggle to score 15 hits in 50 seconds on an E size silhouette at 600 yards in rattle battle using an M14/M1a. The shooters are already slung up in prone under the command "Load and be ready" then the targets go up.