.308 effective distance?

Dstevens

I'm in the market for a new rifle and I'm looking at .308 or a .300 win mag. Imbunsure about the .308's effective killing distance on big game. Will a .308 put big game down at 1000 yards or is that not very likely?
Thanks!!

I'm in the market for a new rifle and I'm looking at .308 or a .300 win mag. Imbunsure about the .308's effective killing distance on big game. Will a .308 put big game down at 1000 yards or is that not very likely?
Thanks!!

I've made alot of shots at 1000 yds with a .308, if you're accurate, it will put them down.....but a 300 Win Mag would be a better choice.....I don't know alot of folks comfortable with shooting game at that range though. Having the choice, I wouldn't.....

my set limit for myself and my .308 is 600 yards on deer and 400 on anything bigger. This is because, as it is, I am shooting 155 Bergers, and they still have over 1k energy and 1800FPS out to 600. Beyond that, the velocity is below the 1800FPS recommended by Berger for proper expansion.

edit: I am looking at upping my load to 185 Bergers

I shoot 308 winchester out to 1000 and beyond almost every time I go shoot I hand load the 215 vergers photo of 45.8 gr of re 17 and at 1000 they still have 945 ftlbs of kinetic energy the pix as my signature is a grouping from 1000 I have shot sub moa at 1500 on a regular bassis if u can get good optics good accurate gun and reload 1000 and even 1500 is not outside of the 308 capabilities I have mangled a coyote at 1107 just 2 days ago shooting the same load out of a 22.85" select match chicken barrel

My wife shot a Mule deer at 460 yards with a 308 this past hunting season. Shooting 150 gr spitzer boattails (Sierra Gamekings). 2740 FPS. Bullet went clear thru, buck didn't go 20 yards.
Not a huge bodied buck, but I was shocked it went clear thru at that range. Thats the entry hole behind the shoulder.

004.jpg

Placement rules and dear are a lightly constructed creature. I do not worry about energy like I do with elk. I will use a 308win on dear out to any range a clean first round hit is confident but of course I do not have the confidence in my ability to make that hit with my 308 that I have in some of my other rifles. A little missed wind goes a long ways for a 308win at 1000yrds.

BUSTED on bad spelling...........(dang?) it, that (AINT) right. Not the first or the last time I am sure. I thank you for the correction and I stand corrected. Till next time.:D DO NOT even think about my punctuation! Nothing to see here, move along.

I read awhile back the military considers the .308 an 800 yard round, and the .300 magnum a 1200 yard system. Different components, and targets for sure, but one way to look at it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.