308 Deer Hunting bullet

That 175 gr MK will kill that deer deader then dead.

The Mk will hold up.

Don't listen to those who never used a MK, they just don't know how good they (MKs) really are.

Later
DC

i now have 2 good loads (at 100yds) that im gonna go shoot at 300 to actually determine which one is best.

45g varget and 45g RL15- group size averages go to the RL 15, but temperature has affected it while the varget load was unaffected.

70deg to 50deg dropped the RL15 load by 20-30fps whil the varget was still in the same window.

varget was giving about 2670fps and the RL 15 was giving about 2740 out of my 22" tube with the 175SMK.

i hope to determine which groups best by shooting them at 300 this week.

should i be woried about the velocity drop out to 700yds?

i hope to use this for deer, and hope this info helped you in some way.i have no fear of the MK performance until they fail for me.

JB

Terry, Please don't tell the 3 milk jugs I destoyed couple weeks ago that the bullet didn't hold up after being hit with 150gr. 7mm MK, left a very nice exit hole, about the size of a nickel or so. I'd say if the MKs didn't hold up, it wouldn't have made it through the second jug.
wink.gif
Jay

Last year I started loading 150gr Failsafes for my buddy's .308 win.

Not only did they shoot good but they killed 3 whitetails and 1 bear with AUTHORITY. I watched 2 of the deer take the hit. In both cases they went down immediately. Looked more like they were hit by a lightening bolt.

I was very impressed.

VH

Terry, any hunting bullet from 150gr to 175gr will work in a 308. Personally, I have had excellent success with the 155gr and 165/168gr bullets in my 308.

For best accuracy, the SST/amax/mk/ballistic tip will be your best. The new interbond show a lot of promise (tested some recently in 165gr and it shot as well as the SST, under 1/3MOA).

Good luck with you hunts.

Jerry

Down here in the South the deer aren't too large I prefer the 110 gr Sierra hp setting on a load of imr4350. Have killed several deer with this load 400yds.

Terry,

If your ranges are 500 or less....shoot the 168.. Sierra match King or the 168 Nosler competition at about 2700-2800 fps and go hunting.. Used 'em both and the deer are dead!!

[ 11-03-2003: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

I shot steel silhouettes for ten years with the 308. The only bullet I ever used was the Hornady 190 gr BTHP match. For deer I just switched to the 190 gr Hornady BTSP. At this time I don't emember what powder I used but it was a compressed load. I have it written in my old chronograph book. The 190 worked well at all ranges.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.