308 bullets: 185vld, horn 178 bthp, horn 208 bthp

timmay

I want to work up a decent long range load for my FN SPR 308. It has a 1-12 24" stock barrel.
Sportsmans Warehouse by my place has the three listed. They dont have any 208 Amax just the 208 bthp.

Im thinking the Hornady 178 BTHP looks good for the weight and BC ratio
The berger 185 looks good too, so does the 208 bthp lol
Any of you try any of these in a SPR?

Recently Berger has begun making a 168grain hybrid. It has a BC of .519. It is lighter (so you can shoot it faster) AND it has a superior BC than the 178amax. The 208grain bullets have a better BC than the 168hybrid, but you cannot shoot them nearly as fast. Also, you may have trouble stabilizing the 208grain bullets as you generally need a 1:11 twist to shoot them.

I'll second the 168 Hybrid. I use them frequently w/o any worries at long distance. That would be the route I would go. The Berger 175 OTM and Target bullet would also be a good option.

Tank

I wonder how this Hybrid will do at 400 yds & beyond (esp. beyond) at 308 velocities if it has the target jacket. If it does well it seems this could be a great 308 bullet.

I wonder how this Hybrid will do at 400 yds & beyond (esp. beyond) at 308 velocities if it has the target jacket. If it does well it seems this could be a great 308 bullet.

What is the concern with 400 yards and beyond? There are several guys here on LRH that have shot the various Berger hybrids at deer size game and larger from near to far with good results.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.