308 bullet for hogs???

Trnelson

Planning a hog hunt in TX. Plan to use my AR10 in 308. Outfitter recommended 180g partition or Barnes txs. Shots <200. Seems like a lot of bullet for a 150-200 lb top size hog. 18" 10 twist barrel. Thoughts...

If you do your part any 150 gr SP will kill any hog that size that ever left a hoof print in the mud. All too often these guides are subjected to too many BAD shots is the reason that they suggest such heavy tough bullets because they want it to completely go through what ever is shot from any direction. I had a buddy that was given by his boss a hunting trip for BIG deer as a reward for his work. This place almost demanded that nothing less than a 7mm Rem mag be used. My buddy took his custom Rem 700 25-06 loaded up with the old Speer 120 Grand Slam bullets and took the one obligatory doe and 2 big bucks each with one shot. He never told them what he was using. My buddy said he could have used his standard 117 Sierra bullet with no problems.

+1 on the 150's. My problem with .308 caliber bullets on the smaller deer and hogs here is getting them to expand before they're out the other side, if you don't have some pretty decent velocity on them.
What kind of speed are you getting out of that 18" barrel?

+1 on the 150's. My problem with .308 caliber bullets on the smaller deer and hogs here is getting them to expand before they're out the other side, if you don't have some pretty decent velocity on them.
What kind of speed are you getting out of that 18" barrel?

I haven't started loading anything up yet. Federal XM80c runs 2580 from the rifle. I am **thinking** of trying either 150 hornady SST or 150 Nosler BT. Maybe an interlock or partition is a better route. The outfitter said 200lbs is a big hog where they hunt and there won't be any shots taken past 200...

Might give the 150 Nosler Accubond a try. It is the best of both worlds. It flies like the ballistic tip and starts to open up like it but holds together like the partition and keeps on trucking through things. Like I said I don't think you will have any problem with any 150 designed as a hunting bullet. For deer give the 125 Nosler ballistic tip a try. As long as you keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps it is awesome on deer. I have used it in ALL my 30 cal stuff for a number of years and 99 % of the time it is BANG FLOP on we will say 100+ deer.

+1 on the accubond or another bullet that stays together. Their hogs may be only 200lb max but hogs have THICK skin, especially in the shoulder area. Bullet weight is not nearly as important as bullet performance.

IMHO 308 is overkill on hogs. If you don't want the meat then go for it. Otherwise its too much gun. 223 body 50gr vmax or even 17hmr head shots are perfect for me. Depends on if I am in meat hunting or pest eradication mode.

I agree that with the lower velocity you are getting just about any cup and core bullet would work. My 16.5" barrel does about the same velocity with the 168gr Federal match ammo. If I were to use it for hunting I think I would go with nothing more than a 150gr bullet. Sierra pro hunter or game king more than likely.

I run 150 ttsx through my AR-10 and have killed many hogs and deer with it. I know it is a premium bullet but it does the job even with a marginal hit due to the wound channnel. Those critters can withstand allot of punishment. I see no reason for anything hevier than a 150 but what it really comes down to is what shots best in your setup. Good luck.

I kill hogs with whatever ammo is in the gun at the time. Usually match ammo of some sort. Elds, smks, etc.

Dome shots or no shots for me.
4B33B672-DC80-41E0-8DA5-CC4E50974A0B.jpeg

142SMK out of a 260. 250+ pounds. That MRAD is 52 inches long.

I kill hogs with whatever ammo is in the gun at the time. Usually match ammo of some sort. Elds, smks, etc.

Dome shots or no shots for me.
View attachment 258783
142SMK out of a 260. 250+ pounds. That MRAD is 52 inches long.
I shot a big one with a Hornady 178 BTHP Match that I inadvertently loaded. Killed him in place with a shoulder hit. I like a heavy bullet so I can kill them with a Texas heart shot if necessary.

In a 308 any bullet in the 150 to 165 weight class will work just fine I would take what ever shoots the best in your rifle a hog is a tough critter but its not a tank I have killed many with a 22 hornet just shoot them were you are suppose to ear hole

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts