308 Bullet BCs

G

Howdy Charter,

I have tested thousands of .308 bullets over Oehler equipment, the 178 Amax showed a measure BC of .520

The 185 gr. Berger shot at a measure B.C. of .560

Either Varget or H - 4350 will produce tremendous velocity and accuracy with either of these bullets.
smile.gif

Thank you. I am going to give the Amax a try for target/varmint and the Speer soft point a try for deer/bear. Since the BCs are similar, they should have similar trajectories.

Any suggestions for 300 RUM dies? I need to start reloading, 40 bucks a box is killing me.
mad.gif

Than

I would use the Amax for deer and black bear, the terminal ballistics on these animals is outstanding for lead bullets. They perform particularly well at longer ranges.
wink.gif

Redding S dies is what I'd recommend. Get a .337" and a .338" bushing and you'll be set if you're using unturned brass. I had to turn a couple thou of my necks to get the .335" bushing to work, as it reduced the neck to .332" - .3325". The .334" bushing was useless, as it just puled the neck way down too far. The .335" bushing was leaving me with .303" ID so I was forced to use the expander to bring them open to .3055" ID or neck tension was absurd.

I'm shooting the 178 A-Max over 95gr RL25 right now. It shoots really nice at .050" off the lands at this near max load. I haven't checked the BC yet, but will get it done soon. This is the most accurate bullet out of my gun thus far, and really consistant too. I'm getting about 3300 fps exactly with a 26" bbl with this load over the Oehler.

I imagine the A-Max would blow big holes through black bear just as the Ballistic Tip does, at least at fairly close range. After 3 or 400 yards the hides should stay together pretty well, leaves lots of sewing if their shot up close though. They die **** near in their tracks when hit though!
wink.gif

Could some of you provide me with some reliable BC values for .308 Bullets. I am looking for a good trajectory hunting bullet for deer. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the speer 180gr SPBT (.540 bc)? Also, I am looking at 180gr Sierra matchking, AMax, Interbond, Accubond, etc.

I have seen conflicting data on the 178gr Amax some say .580, and others .495, Comments?

I know that the heavier Sierra match bullets have a better BC, but for the <1000 yard ranges, I am looking for a better trajectory, so I am primarily interested in the 180s.

Thank you.

Than

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.