.308 Build

roscopco54

Im looking to build a .308 for hunting and I also want to practice shooting 500 yards. I want to use a Remington 700 and I hopefully will be putting a suppressor on it. What kind of barrel length would you run and also what kind of scope would be a good choice? Also what kind of bullets would you shoot?
Thanks for the help

oof...bunch of questions. I'll answer using the build I have, with the caveat that mine is a Savage. I am having a 26 inch 1:11 heavy sporter Benchmark barrel on it, because, for that i shoot, I like it best. For scope, since you said, 500 yards there are a lot of good options, Nikon Monarch, and maybe even Buckmasters, the Vortex Viper line is very popular, Sightron III is also a good decision. Weaver makes a bunch of good scopes. For more expensive there is Nightforce, S&B, Zeiss, and Swarovski.

a little more information would be helpful for giving you advice.

as far as bullets, I've used 178 Hornadys, but recently decided to dial back the weight and up the velocity, so when i get my rifle back, I'll be trying out 155 Berger VLD, which, if I can get a solid load from them, will be used for hunting and mid range (600 yard) F-Class shooting. I use Varget for loading my own rounds.

That's about all I got, I'm a newbie, and others will be along with more knowledge.

You could always look into a new or slightly used Model 700 Milspec 5R. Bed it, install a Jewell trigger, thread the barrel 5/8X24 for the suppressor of your choice. Get a Nightforce NXS with 20MOA base and you got a really good shooting rifle for a little further than 500 yards.
Mine likes 168 grain SMKs for target and 165 grain SBTs for hunting.

what would be a good power scope? ive never used a scope that had the windage or elevation turrets. are they hard to use and setup?

I think a 14 power scope is more than plenty for that gun. I started off with a build just like that. I installed a 10x mark4 and it was all I needed. My friend is a marine scout sniper, he uses a 10 power in his .308. The mil dot system and turrets are pretty simple to use and much more accurate than you will be with a fixed scope. A trigger upgrade is an absolute as well. I think the most popular grain bullet for the .308 bolt action is probably the 168 hpbt.

Im looking to build a .308 for hunting and I also want to practice shooting 500 yards. I want to use a Remington 700 and I hopefully will be putting a suppressor on it. What kind of barrel length would you run and also what kind of scope would be a good choice? Also what kind of bullets would you shoot?
Thanks for the help

Go for the milspec, with 20" threaded barrel, cause when you put a suppressor on, it won't be in the next county. ATF is taking 6+ months to get your stamp to you, so the longer you wait.....
If you go with mk4 with m3 turrets, you won't need a 20 moa base.

.308 is good caliber for what you want to do. So I would suggest a 1:12 twist barrel, using 168 Berger Hybrids. The ballistic coefficient of the 168 is .519. That is the second best BC. The first is the 178 Hornady BTHP, but I like running the high BC lower weight bullet. As far as barrel length, I wouldn't go any longer than 24" especially if you are wanting to put a suppressor on it. 24" is the length of most sniper rifles in the military in .308. Can't go wrong the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. Great scope, loved mine. Had to sell it and my .308 for bills. Better build next time. Still have a .308, just not as nice as the one I built.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.