308 anyone?

Ksduckhntr

Does anyone still hunt with a 308? With all the new cartridges and choices out there does anyone still hunt with a 308? Seems like questions arise about new rifles and what to look for and the 308 is seldom mentioned. I would think with the advancements in bullet technology the 308 would gain popularity again. I am thinking of building a simple 18" suppressed hunting rig in 308 shooting the 165-185 range bullets. Shooting distances would not exceed 300 on game and 500 steel

I've got a nice GAP-built 308 with a 20" barrel that I run suppressed with 165 partitions. Of all my rifles it is my "shortest range" hunting rifle. But still good for deer out to 500+ yds. And I wouldn't hesitate using it on elk out to around 400 yds if the right opportunity presented itself.

I mostly bought it because it was a really good used rifle deal since most people don't want to spend a bunch of money on a 308. But the components are top shelf, and it's stupid accurate and easy/cheap to load for.

I would say build what you like and what fits into your budget. I think the 308 can do 800 with well placed shots on Elk and deer. I've seen enough videos of people dropping elk with them. It would not be my first choice but I have one in the closet for playing around, practice, etc, etc,. I have a couple of other that I like to shoot but do not no where near as often as the 308 due to barrel wear, brass hard to find, wife ask why are you taking my gun, etc, etc. So the 308 gets all the love when I go plinking for now.

It will do everything you need it to. It just does a lot better when necked down to 6.5mm, 7mm, and even 6mm in my opinion.

The only thing that the 308 has going for it advantage wise is that I regularly see factory match grade ammo for under $20 a box, and that barrel life is 7k+ rounds, for that reason I would like to build a 20" AR10 .308 one day, whenever my money tree flourishes.

The 308 has a tremendous record of getting it done in the vast majority of hunting and shooting situations. I'll add it's far more versatile than the CM. I don't have any hate for whatever people choose, but will say BCs often misrepresent actual hunting experience (7mm on elk). IMO the biggest advancements have been in bullet construction and not in the efficiency of cartridges. Physics haven't changed. I'd buy a 308 any day of the week.

Lot's of people do but then this site is dedicated to Long Range hunting, not just hunting in general.

The .308 simply lacks the ballistics to be much of a consideration for LR hunters as compared to the various .30cal magnums running much faster and flatter.
Not much we disagree on Rosie, but on this one, I'll have to plead the 5th... :D

With modern bullets, it's still not "the best" LR option, but it can still get the job done with good shot placement on deer-sized game out to a grand... Granted, my .300 Ackley will stomp it into the dirt, but it is what it is.

I'm a 7mm guy, but I also have several .30 caliber rifles (.300 BLK, .308 Win, .30-06 AI, .300WM, .300 Ackley). And have always been a huge .308 Win fan. Don't think I'll ever go without having one in my safe.

308 Win.png

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts