308 and Hammer Bullets

rbTanzan

There is a recent thread on the 30-06 and Hammer bullets. The responses appeared helpful. Some look promising for the 308 Win, too:
"I've shot most of the .30 Hammers in my .06 so far. .308, and 7.62x39. I'm afraid you're going to have to choose a weight, as they all shoot."​

So how about the 308 and Hammer Bullets, especially for an all-around bullet and load for game that would include elk, 0-400 yard?
I've got a new Kimber in 308 for the grandkids. After 40 years with most everything else, my first "project" with the 308. The case capacity looks like it might like some finessing.

I would go with the lightest one above the 101gr for the blk. Monos really like speed and won't come apart if pushed to fast. Speed also means energy. So for the distance you want I would launch a light one very fast. It will be flat shooting and hit hard. Only time I run heavies are if I'm going way past 500 yards.

i am interested in the 152's in the .308. First couple i loaded are lacking for capacity with varget. hopefully i will shoot them today and see something.

Lots of elk killed with the under 120gr Bullets going very fast in the .257 Roy so I would think the 130 sledge hammer would be the ticket keep it moving fast. You would loose a lot of speed with the 160 class bullet. And never gain the advantage of the higher bc back at his distance

I have a tech question for those with hammer bullet experience.

The hammer bullets look like they have very low pressure for initial engraving into the lands of the barrel. GSC bullets do something similar and GSC recommends using slightly faster-than-usual powders, claiming that the low initial pressures cause fast powders to act like slightly slower powders. They also recommend magnum primers for the same reason, to get enough fire/pressure for the powder burn.

Any comments or experiences here?

I have a tech question for those with hammer bullet experience.

The hammer bullets look like they have very low pressure for initial engraving into the lands of the barrel. GSC bullets do something similar and GSC recommends using slightly faster-than-usual powders, claiming that the low initial pressures cause fast powders to act like slightly slower powders. They also recommend magnum primers for the same reason, to get enough fire/pressure for the powder burn.

Any comments or experiences here?

I have experienced just as you described. Especially the magnum primers!

Thank you, Mark A.

So what do you or would you recommend for the 130gn SledgeHammer in .308 Win?

Thank you, Mark A.

So what do you or would you recommend for the 130gn SledgeHammer in .308 Win?

Magnum primer, Varget to start at about 47 grains. Seat bullet out to saami overall length at 2.80" and check speed. I would expect a 24" barrel to break 3,100 fps with a 130 grain Hammer bullet. Work charge up to that speed watching for pressure as normal load workup (shouldn't be any pressure issues) let the speed tell you when you are close.

Remember that burn rates go up as charge weights go up and get close to case fill. I usually like to see hammer bullets seated where boat tail meets bullet diameter flush with neck shoulder junction (only boat tail portion below neck!). See what gives you for overall length with this bullet as I have not shot it.

I'm using the 152 Hammer in 30-06 with H4350 but would tend to think case volume in the .308 be better suited for the 130 Sledge Hammer.

Steve may chime in if he has better starting point.

Last edited: