308 ammo

tommyc279

I just bought some cheap american eagle .308 168 gr. OTM ammo for breaking in my new remington. During the break in process I quickly discovered this ammo was grouping between .3 to .5 inch groups (5 shot groups). I moved out to 300yds and was able to keep 1.5inch groups. My question is what type of bullet is the OTM and could it be used for deer sized game. I have not tried other ammo but it shot so well and the price factor got me thinking about this ammo. Thanks for all the help as usual.

If your shooting less than .05" five shot groups @ 100 yds. and 1.5" @ 300yds you fall into the top 2% of the best marksman. Lets hear about your rifle/scope your using.

I dont know how good I am but this is off the sand bags. I am shooting a rem 700 vssf II in 308 with a bushnell 3200 tactical 5-15 with warne mounts and the american eagle ammo I am trying to learn more about. This is the first rifle with factory ammo that I have owned that makes this seem easy. I have always used federal prem. or reloads, I am starting to wonder if price means accuracy.

I just bought some cheap american eagle .308 168 gr. OTM ammo for breaking in my new remington. During the break in process I quickly discovered this ammo was grouping between .3 to .5 inch groups (5 shot groups). I moved out to 300yds and was able to keep 1.5inch groups. My question is what type of bullet is the OTM and could it be used for deer sized game. I have not tried other ammo but it shot so well and the price factor got me thinking about this ammo. Thanks for all the help as usual.

I myself have been looking for any and all info on this ammo, Federal Cartridge AE 7.62x51 M1A 168gr OTM . I have not been able to locate any yet do to shortages. I had a feeling this ammo would be good being most if not all Federal ammo is great stuff. If there is anyone else out there who has used this ammo please write me directly or in forum and let me know how well it shoots and any other info such as the rifle make & model barrel lenght etc. you use. I am primarly going to use it in my M1A Super match and Remington 700 R5 mil Spec rifles. Thanks and Good Shooting. Rick.[email protected]

Try looking up Seirra Match King, Open Tip Hollow Point, in 168 gr., OTM Open Tip Match.

cheers,
chuck...

I myself have been looking for any and all info on this ammo, Federal Cartridge AE 7.62x51 M1A 168gr OTM . I have not been able to locate any yet do to shortages. I had a feeling this ammo would be good being most if not all Federal ammo is great stuff. If there is anyone else out there who has used this ammo please write me directly or in forum and let me know how well it shoots and any other info such as the rifle make & model barrel lenght etc. you use. I am primarly going to use it in my M1A Super match and Remington 700 R5 mil Spec rifles. Thanks and Good Shooting. Rick.[email protected]

I have been shooting this ammo for quite sometime. I find it at great prices and there are always quantity of it around. Lately it has been hard to find. I am glad I bought over 200 rounds of it. I recently took my MIA loaded out with a 6x40 fixed range-finding recticle (springfield) and shot first at 500yrds at a cement bag. After finding my dope at 500 i took 5 shots and hit the same area within 4-6 inch groups. If I had to be accurate about it I would say it was closer to 5 or 6 inch groups. The next dope was dialed at 600yrds and it became more eratic in grouping but it was still hitting the target (20 inch paper target). I am proud to say every round is on the paper. Didn't measure that one though. Personally I believe 600yrds out of an MIA is the max effective range. I then shot 700yrds at a 10 inch steel target. Steel target was hit 7 times out of 10. The wind at the end picked up over 7mphs and you can see the bullet walk if you have a good pair of Binos. This ammo is a great for the price and walks the walk with accuracy. The only problem I had out of the ammo was that every 10th or 12th bullet the extractor would not extract the expended shell. I clean that barrel with a plactic rod and am sure to be thorough in cleaning it due to its worth. I am not sure what that is about. Do you have any idea why it won't extract? Let me know...

I have been shooting this ammo for quite sometime. I find it at great prices and there are always quantity of it around. Lately it has been hard to find. I am glad I bought over 200 rounds of it. I recently took my MIA loaded out with a 6x40 fixed range-finding reticle (Springfield) and shot first at 500yrds at a cement bag. After finding my dope at 500 i took 5 shots and hit the same area within 4-6 inch groups. If I had to be accurate about it I would say it was closer to 5 or 6 inch groups. The next dope was dialed at 600yrds and it became more erratic in grouping but it was still hitting the target (20 inch paper target). I am proud to say every round is on the paper. Didn't measure that one though. Personally I believe Rd's out of an MIA is the max effective range. I then shot Rd's at a 10 inch steel target. Steel target was hit 7 times out of 10. The wind at the end picked up over 7mphs and you can see the bullet walk if you have a good pair of Binos. This ammo is a great for the price and walks the walk with accuracy. The only problem I had out of the ammo was that every Th or Th bullet the extractor would not extract the expended shell. I clean that barrel with a plastic rod and am sure to be thorough in cleaning it due to its worth. I am not sure what that is about. Do you have any idea why it won't extract? Let me know...
It's been some months since i wrote this article but since then i have acquired a new case or two of ammo. It shoot's Fantastic in both my MA Super Match as well as my Remington 700 R5 MilSpec. That being said as to your question on extracting problems it could be a number of different things. Sometimes after a few rounds go down the barrel the heat will affect it to some degree or possible there is some carbon getting into the chamber area and or throat. Another problem is some time particulates get hung up in the claw part of the extractor or behind it and cause it not to function properly. Then again it could be none of the above and something all together different. Be sure to give your rifle a Super cleaning job with the best solvents on the market and make sure that you lubercate all moving parts especially the ones that are in friction with others and do not over due it. Lastly make sure all of your ammo is wiped down clean & dry. Any build up of any forigen matter can cause it to hang up a shot. Have you bought any of the ammo/AE M1A 168's grin lately? If so what is it costing you per box or do you buy by the case like i do? It sometimes saves you a few bucks. In any event keep me posted and let me know how you make out. Regards, Rick Sr.
http://www.lynnssportinggoods.com/viewitem.php?listing=7

Last edited:
Re: 308 ammo Federal AE 7.62x51 168 gr. OTM Open Tip Match M1A

I HAVE A CASE FOR SALE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED? I WILL SHIP TO LOWER 48 FOR A FULL CASE OF 200 RDS/10BOXS,$170.00 LET ME KNOW AND THANKS.[email protected]

pix412277985.jpg

pix744204581.jpg

pix488566637.jpg

pix244091976.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.