Bang your head.gif

Why do people waste everybody's time with stupid memes and graphics, if you don't like the conversation then move on, it's far easier than spending the time it takes to useless crap.

Easy peasy....155 Berger or 155 Scenar add Varget or 15 and rock the house bubba!

You'll be Golden

Guys i appreciate the help. I have decided to go with a 300 wsm however. Came down to "why chance it". So now I'll be researching ammo for the 300 wsm and which rifle to get. Thanks guys

Federal Premium with 185 Bergers Hybrids or 180gr Accubond. Another option is Nosler Trophy Grade with 190gr ABLR.

Stay safe

Guys i appreciate the help. I have decided to go with a 300 wsm however. Came down to "why chance it". So now I'll be researching ammo for the 300 wsm and which rifle to get. Thanks guys

Excellent! As I noted in #6 ...

The .300 WSM would be a better choice. With 180g and heavier ammo, you're golden.

HSM (https://hsmammunition.com/category/ammunition/) has some nice selection of factory ammo for your consideration ...

HSM .300 WSM 1 Berger ammo.JPG
HSM .300 WSM 2 SGK ammo.JPG
HSM .300 WSM 3 Barnes ammo.JPG

Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Ed

I've been hunting with a suppressed 16" 308 for several years now. I can't say that I've hunted any elk - but I have shot a number of large red deer. I have used a mixture of both factory and handloads. The factory has been both 150 SST & 150 GMX.
The attached photo is of 3 recovered 150 GMX bullets left to right bullet recovered from a stag at just under 300 yards where as the other 2 are from hinds 70 and 40 yards respectively.
Don't underestimate the 130 TTSX it is a thumper. These can be push along (3k) with a healthy dose of H335.
I'm not a fan of the 150 SST. Seldom exits and doesn't kill quick enough in my opinion.

Attachments

• 160369259007665163882612071528.jpg
    160369259007665163882612071528.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 126
My Son picked one gun for his adventures. He has shot just about everything in North America.
It was a .340 Weatherby Magnum with a break (not a silencer). He never looked back the gun
worked flawlessly for his application.
Zeke

I wanted to give everyone an update after my elk hunt! Decided a 16 inch 308 wasn't good enough and bought a 300 wsm. Still used a suppressor during the hunt on a browning x bolt hells canyon! One shot and the bull was dead on his feet! Before falling I did put another round in him but wasn't needed. All info is on this video in case anyone is interested. Thanks guys!

I wanted to give everyone an update after my elk hunt! Decided a 16 inch 308 wasn't good enough and bought a 300 wsm. Still used a suppressor during the hunt on a browning x bolt hells canyon! One shot and the bull was dead on his feet! Before falling I did put another round in him but wasn't needed. All info is on this video in case anyone is interested. Thanks guys!

Congrats to both on a mighty fine harvest!

Last edited:
Well first off I would recommend an 18 to 20 inch barrel. Also, I have tested 308 ammo for many years and have found the 165 grain and 168 grain boat tail soft point spear point works the best in just about any 308 cartridge. I don't buy much 308 ammo, I reload and have had very good performance with Hornnady 168 grain boat tail hollow point bullets loaded to 2800 F.P.S. out to 600 yards. When in the service we shot this weight bullet out to 900 meters very accurately. Just my opinion but I'm sure there will be others.
What powder are you using to get 2800fps? What length barrel?