grnorthcutt

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a Sig Cross in a 308. The Cross is a 16inch barrel and I will have it suppressed. With the shorter barrel length, I'm debating what factory ammo would be best out of that shorter inch barrel for elk. This will be my first Elk hunt and the outfitter is advising most shots are within 300 yards, with 500 yards being possible but seldom. Looking at the Hornady precision hunter with the ELD-X bullet although the Nosler Accubonds seem to be a classic. With the shorter barrel length I feel like bullet selection is crucial. Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a Sig Cross in a 308. The Cross is a 16inch barrel and I will have it suppressed. With the shorter barrel length, I'm debating what factory ammo would be best out of that shorter inch barrel for elk. This will be my first Elk hunt and the outfitter is advising most shots are within 300 yards, with 500 yards being possible but seldom. Looking at the Hornady precision hunter with the ELD-X bullet although the Nosler Accubonds seem to be a classic. With the shorter barrel length I feel like bullet selection is crucial. Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks

Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! Is the .308 Win also the outfitter's advice? Do you have other hunting rifle(s)? If so, what chambering? You might already have a rifle that is better suited than the one your are considering.

Last edited:
Only thing short barrel changes is velocity. As long as you have enough velocity to get the bullet to perform your golden. At your listed ranges any descent bullet from 150-180 gr will work fine. If it were me i would use 168 bergers or 165-8 ballistic tips. Both your listed will work great as well.

you might be wise to look at the hammer 155 gr bullet.
I don't like your gun set up for elk though. the 308 is good option up to 400ish, but your short barrel length is going to hurt velocity. I wouldn't take a 500 yard shot with a full velocity 308. let's hope you get a sub 300 shot.

Edit: you're buying factory ammo. Get something other than a 308.

Last edited:
Thank you! The 308 is my choosing, however I've debated buying a 300wsm with a shooter barrel (suppressed) and using it for the hunt. I just like the idea of a one gun for all my adventures.

The .300 WSM would be a better choice. With 180g and heavier ammo, you're golden. I too have a .300 WSM and I load 215 Berger for it. I know what you mean by having a go-to chambering. I have quite a few choices for elk hunting but the .300 WM remains my go-to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. Good luck!

Did you hear what Feenix is politely saying?

On my first elk hunt I took my .338 Federal. (A necked up .308) Last day with snow squalls from white out to blue bird skies in minutes we watched two great bulls. They were beyond my rifles capabilities not mine. Don't make the same mistake. I like the .308 but would shoot something better in the wind and at distance if you can.

If your heart is set on the cross the .277 fury may prove a better choice than the .308. Find your recoil tolerance and get surgical with the largest rifle you shoot the best. This isn't the time to act like a cave man and get a 50 cal just get right with what you can shoot best. If that is the .308, then yeah. It it is a .280 AI, '06 or .300 wm. hell yeah!

To directly answer your question, the .308 with a "short" barrel doesn't suffer like some more overbore cartridges do. Grab some ttsx, nosler accubond and maybe some superformance and see what it likes. Remington scirocco 2's worth a try too...

Best of luck and keep us posted!

I would have to agree with Wolf 76 for those ranges the 155 hammer bullet should be the ticket it will allow you to keep velocity up with the short barrel and at those ranges b.c. means very little besides all this it is a very good killing bullet

I would have to agree with Wolf 76 for those ranges the 155 hammer bullet should be the ticket it will allow you to keep velocity up with the short barrel and at those ranges b.c. means very little besides all this it is a very good killing bullet

Unless I misconstrued, the OP is looking into factory ammo, i.e. Hornady PH.

Well first off I would recommend an 18 to 20 inch barrel. Also, I have tested 308 ammo for many years and have found the 165 grain and 168 grain boat tail soft point spear point works the best in just about any 308 cartridge. I don't buy much 308 ammo, I reload and have had very good performance with Hornnady 168 grain boat tail hollow point bullets loaded to 2800 F.P.S. out to 600 yards. When in the service we shot this weight bullet out to 900 meters very accurately. Just my opinion but I'm sure there will be others.