A few years ago I too used a 308 on my elk hunt, actually took two elk. Cow/calf season in Wyoming. I used a Ruger Scout Rifle 16" barrel. I used Factory Nosler 165gr Accubound. I had a Thunderbeast older Can 30P1.

One Elk at 445 yards the other at 472 yards. I would say 500 is absolutely the maximum range. First elk one shot dropped in its tracks, the second went 20 yards, second shot to finish off.

First time I used Factory ammo, Suppressor, and Non-Magnum rifle. Outcome the same as a 300 Wby, all dead, it's all about a good bullet and Shot placement. I recovered one bullet and it mushroomed just like Nosler shows.

I now use all Nosler Accubonds in my hunting loads I develop. Nosler now offers a LongRange Accubond 168gr, not sure if it's in there Factory ammo, but would still suggest 500 yards as maximum range.

I strongly would suggest that you Chrono your gun and ammo know it's drop. If I recall at 600 yards, the bullet will drop additional 90" from 500 to 600 yards. So your guide is correct 500 maximum for the 308. Good Luck.

You're going on your first elk hunt, and you're limiting yourself on your range with your rifle, why would you do that? The 308 is a minimal round for elk, and you're reducing your velocity by going to a shorter barrel and using factory ammunition. I personally would move up to at least a 300 WSM or larger,With at least a 24 inch barrel. Elk are tough animals, You don't want them wandering off into a deep canyon or get into a spot where you can't get them out. Use as much gun as you can comfortably shoot. This is just my opinion, I know many elk been killed with 243's and 257 Roberts.

I've chronographed factor 178 ELD-x from a Steyr scout. It clocked in at 2475 ft/sec. you are talking about 1800 retained ft/sec in the best case scenario. If you do decide to run simulations with hornady bullets make sure you get the accurate BC's from their BC page with the lower BC values and not the ones listed on the packaging. I'd probably pick something from their Superformance line but the only bullet that looks ok-ish is the 165 SST. If it were me I'd get a better tool for that job. I'm a big proponent of suppressors but not at the cost of short barrels that cut the legs off the cartridge. A 308 with an 18-20 inch tube and a TBAC 7 would still be fine and handy and you'd see a decent bump in velocity. I'm betting your 16 inch 308 with a suppressor isn't even ear safe

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't suggest it. After running some quick numbers for both 150 and 165gr ABs, you would be falling below the minimum 1,800fps at 400 yards. Elk are a strong animal and can go a long ways with a pin hole through the lungs. I like your idea about a 300 wsm a little better. I've seen what 165s do to elk out of a wsm at 525 yards and it's impressive. But that was out of a 24" barrel.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you set on such a short barrel?

Well first off I would recommend an 18 to 20 inch barrel. Also, I have tested 308 ammo for many years and have found the 165 grain and 168 grain boat tail soft point spear point works the best in just about any 308 cartridge. I don't buy much 308 ammo, I reload and have had very good performance with Hornnady 168 grain boat tail hollow point bullets loaded to 2800 F.P.S. out to 600 yards. When in the service we shot this weight bullet out to 900 meters very accurately. Just my opinion but I'm sure there will be others.
I concur

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't suggest it. After running some quick numbers for both 150 and 165gr ABs, you would be falling below the minimum 1,800fps at 400 yards. Elk are a strong animal and can go a long ways with a pin hole through the lungs. I like your idea about a 300 wsm a little better. I've seen what 165s do to elk out of a wsm at 525 yards and it's impressive. But that was out of a 24" barrel.

He's running a suppressor

Last edited:
I understand that, but 16" still seems pretty short to me. Please forgive my stupidity because I have never hunted with a suppressor. But I have hunted a lot of elk. I feel like a 20" suppressed barrel would come in at 26-27" total which is the length a lot people hunt with. I'm not a big fan of a 308 for elk to begin with, but if someone is dead set on it I would suggest squeezing as many fps out of it as possible.

I understand that, but 16" still seems pretty short to me. Please forgive my stupidity because I have never hunted with a suppressor. But I have hunted a lot of elk. I feel like a 20" suppressed barrel would come in at 26-27" total which is the length a lot people hunt with. I'm not a big fan of a 308 for elk to begin with, but if someone is dead set on it I would suggest squeezing as many fps out of it as possible.
I've shot a 16" barreled 308 to 1000 meters with MOA accuracy and I feel sure the OP is is in the same mind that I am, I personally don't want to carry a 27" barreled rifle although I did for years and while I agree with everyone about better choices the 308 with the 130 grain Barnes will work just fine for what his guide is telling him IMPO

The rifle (SIG Cross) he'd like to use only comes in 16" in .308.

I have found over the years that the lighter 130-150 grain bullets destabilize at longer distances. I have also found that using the 165 and 168 grain bullet is more accurate without going to heavier bullets and loosing velocity.
I concur 100% but if 500 will be his "rare" occurrence the 130 Barnes should work wouldn't you think?

Interesting choice in rifle. I hunted Elk a couple times with a REM Mod 7 20'' barrel in 7-08. Was pack hunting so wanted lite/compact/handy. I loaded up some 160gr Speer Mag Tips and figured my limit was 300 yards, which was fine because that was about as far a shot as I expected. My perspective is heavier bullets like 180/175 are better than lighter bullets, in 30cal I would prefer not to lighter than 165's. I look at momentum over energy and heavier bullets have more momentum to drive through a big animal. Think of it as if you'r in the supper bowl and your team has to stop Derrick Henry, do you count on a speedy 200 pound Dback or a capable savvy 250 pound linebacker?

Agreed! "MY" unwritten rule is 1500 FT-LBS of energy on elk size game and minimum velocity for the bullet design to effectively expand at POI. Shot placement and the "NUT" behind the trigger remains the biggest factors in hunting.

I understand that there are peeps out there that shoots the .308 Win at 1500+ yards on targets but to humanely harvest an elk is another story.

As long as the OP keeps things within his limitations as well as his equipment's (rifle set-up/choice) effectiveness/capability then he's OK but as @6x6 elk noted, he is limiting himself.

@grnorthcutt, "WE" can only provide advice, what you do with it is entirely up to you. Good luck!