.308 Ackley Improved???

tunofun

Does anyone know anything about this chamber? I don't think Ackley ever 'improved' the 308 but I have seen the 'AI' tag given to it. As far as I can tell, it is just the .308 with a 40deg taper and a straighter body. Anyone know??

I need to recut the chamber in my 308 and thought why not the AI over standard?

Being that the 308 is already a very effecient case I don't believe that you would be gaining much velocity at all maybe a little longer case life between trimmings but I personaly don't feel that it would be worth fire forming the cases.

since you'll have to pull the barrel anyway just have it set back and rechambered , maybe with a tight match reamer

Thanks for the help, I thought as much. I checked it out and it only changes the shoulder and straightens the walls a fraction. 50fps velocity gain, longer case life though.. Since i'm already getting 10+ loads from norma cases now, it's not worth it at all!

tunofun,
There is a gentleman by the name of Bruce
Artus in Pueblo Colorado that claim's with
this cartridge he can hit a gong at 4000 Yds.
maybe there is something to it. (riiiight)
B

Yes, I have seen Bruce's exploits with the improved .308 cartridge, unreal stuff. I believe mid range trajectory to 3000yards is like 440ft above the line of sight! He better not be shooting near any flight paths!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts