308 A.I. at almost 2 miles?

JBM,
Thanks for that awesome post! The link on the group was very interesting. I guess if you fired 1000 shots at a target it would have to be perserverance.

Rost 495,
That mini palma sounds tough. It would be fun to watch for sure.
The story of the 22-250 fast twist started last year. A friend and I were out at my mile range shooting at the gong at 1000 yards. The 75 grain A-max were hitting the 15" piece of steel almost too easily, so we decided to put the gong out at 1200 yards. We each nailed it several times and soon got bored again, so we moved it out to 1400. I shot first and I couldn't see where I hit. I fired 10 more shots and nothing. Not one puff of dust anywhere. So I grabbed the walkie-talkie and drove downrange and stood behind a telephone pole off to the side and about 200 yards from the gong. This was out in the desert in a spot that has no grass or sagebrush, so it is easy to spot a shot. And it was particularly dry this day. From my hiding spot, I told my buddy to start shooting and what I heard was amazing. I could hear the bullet coming a ways behind me and then as it went past, it made a very weird zingzingzingzing sound. I broadly looked out into the field and there was absolutely no bullet or bullet fragment hitting the ground anywhere! He shot several more shots, and all had the same sound and result.
The next day, I was on the phone with the Sierra tech boys and they said that the bullet probably yawed itself into oblivion. I guess when a bullet begins to yaw from transonic flight, it exposes more surface area directly to air friction which can be quite hot and a thin jacketed bullet basically incinerates itself!
Since then, I have done some testing of larger, less radical designed bullets with thicker jackets at subsonic speeds. I have found 308 with 180 bullets go subsonic before getting to 1000 yards, but they still plopped onto the backstop. They had absolutely no accuracy, as none of them came close to hitting the gong even in calm conditions. But I need to test this same gun/bullet combo at 1500 or maybe a mile to see if it ever starts to wobble enough to cook itself into pieces. It might not being such a big chunk of material.

Centre Punch,
I have owned that book for about 3 years. I had read the articles in question even before buying the book and the book made me question it even more! Anyone can take pictures of wild equipment and a shooting outing, but that doesn't mean it actually worked. The book's chapter is written by a witness and not by the actual shooters. The author can fib (not saying he is) and it would not count as them actually being the ones who fibbed (not saying they are). It would have been more believable to have the shooters also be the authors, then if there was a fib, it would be on their reputation, not an innocent witness!

hi my name is kregg slack, mr. goodgrouper no body ever called me for anything. so what you told these people is a lie. i dont shoot the 2-mile targets any more but i do still have some of our shoots on tape. my 338 lapua would get to the target in 8-sec and my vel was still at about 900 f.p.s when my bullet hit the steel gong it still had the power to blow the bullet up. the 308 still had enought power to make the bullet look like a pin wheel. you say you live close to me come and see me and we can talk if you want. my address is 2131 spruce st pueblo co 81004. phone 719-566-3020 web site www.parrysgunsmithing.com

Welcome Kregg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Welcome Mr.Slak , I respect your oppinion as comming from a respected gunsmith and am totaly impressed with anybody shooting any shoulder fired weapon at that range and hitting anything smaller than a 3 ring circus.
How much more "unaccurate" was the 308 than the 338 Lapua at that range.
The thought crossed my mind about how a bullet would "destabilize" after it crossed the Suppersonic to Subsonic barrier , thinking that it coulden't regain stabilization and start to restabilize so Iasked one of the Brainiac's at work (that try so hard to make my life difficult) about it and he explained and explained then he actualy broke out a Gyro-scope and explained that it is very steady at high speed then starts to wobbel and sway look like its gonna fall but then it slows a bit and regains stability , he explains that a bullet will do the same thing especialy since it has a forward motion and a an arodynamic shape not counting the grooves that are molded into it that will certianly catch air and force the bullet to spin.
But like it was said anything is possible I just find it hard to believe well did until today

on a com morning the 308 was just as accurate as the 338 lapua but it took the 308 about 3-sec longer to get there. when we used solid basie's that we made for our rifle's to shoot that far the 308 had 420 thousands driffents between the front base and the back one. the 338 lapua had 325 and the 264 had 325 but the bullets were'nt heavy enouhgt so you could see a good impact. all of the bullets land on there belly just like a plane landing.

the 308AI made the 16" gong strike at 3120yds,..the 338 lapua pushing the 300gr SMK made the prarie dog kill at 3120yds, page 89.

Kregg,
Let me welcome you to the forum first of all. Glad you're here and I hope you'll stay around.
What I posted was that my gunsmtih tried to find you (well actually Bruce) and he never could find you and he felt like you guys didn't want to show him. Therefore, I did not tell a lie,I simply stated one mans opinion that you were conveniently hard to find. I was in effect relaying info in the third person.
I also said it was my gunsmith that used to live by you, not me. Although, if I'm in the area I WILL stop by. I also said that you might have a chance with the .264 if you remember, because the ballistics on that say it could be done.
Now that we have that out of the way, let's get to the questions.
Why don't you shoot 2 miles anymore?
Is there anyway of getting a copy of your video of the shoot?
Did you experiment with the so called "turbulent zone" to find out if it exists and where it was? In other words, did you notice that say from 2000 yards to 2800 yards the bullets were really inaccurate, and then they seemed to stabilize again after 2800 and shoot well again? This question pertains especially the 308 AI.
Thanks, --goodgrouper

P.S. I hope I didn't ruin your day with my skeptical personality. I am only skeptical to keep from being gullible, and the reason I am skeptical is from my own personal experience of trying to shoot my 6.5-.284 (which ballistically is shooting identical to a .264 win mag) at one mile. It will do it ok on a warm day, but I will be the first to say that 2 miles with my gun is a absolute waste of time. In fact, if I go back 150 yards farther (1910 yards) my gun becomes so inaccurate that it has a hard time even hitting our backstop which is 50 yards wide and 20 yards tall!

i wanted to start shooting 1000yd benchrest to see if i could set a record there this will be my 4th year shooting 1000yd benchrest and i find it harder to shoot a 10 shot group under 5- inches or a 5-shot group under a 1-1/2 then it was to get my dog. its hard to get places to shoot 2-miles any more that has dogs on it. never herd of a turbulent zone i have pick up alot of my bullets around the gong and they all left skids marks on the ground at 2-miles away so all the rounds were landing on there bellys. if you email me your address i will record about 45 min of shooting at two miles at a gong. when you get the tape you can record it and send someone else a copy of it because i dont have the time to record tapes and send them out.

kregg,
understood. I'll send my addy via email.
I will not make copies of the tape you send me unless you are absolutely ok with it. I will also send it back after I watch it.
I will look forward to future correspondence with you!
Thanks again! --goodgrouper

Not to be a skeptical dick or anything but I sure would like to se a copy of that , I'll even pay postage and for the tape or what not , I just like to see anybody shoot anything.

im sorry but im not going to get started on recording tapes and sending them out. any body can shoot at 2-mile targets if you got the open range and a 30-cal or bigger because you need to see your hits.

Kregg,
Your exploits at 3000yds inspired me and made me completely re-think my rifle shooting,to the point where i am now seriously into ultra long range shooting and have converted most of my shooting buddies to the same. Thanks.

Centre Punch.

The furthest I have shot a 308 was 1450yds. I used a 155gr Amax and it was certainly 'accurate' after going subsonic. The target was a bush that ended up measuring 24" across.

Shooting was done in very light winds and I certainly wouldn't want to be that bush. Hitting inside the bush was not an issue. Certainly wasn't everytime but often enough to be 'accurate/plausible'.

Took the same bullet out of a 300Wby to 1800m (1980yds). Distance measured by a WILD rangefinder so could be off a few percent.

Same thing. In almost calm conditions, was good for min. of stump and bush. I shoot across a valley into a clear cut so don't bother hiking in to measure my targets of opportunity. My guess are these would be 2 to 4' objects.

So, I know that the 155gr amax will stay stable after going subsonic. After that it should stay stable until it hits something.

Going to two miles simply means a whole bunch more elevation. The initial velocity really doesn't matter much when distances are so extreme. The bullet will go subsonic. Whether its at 1000 or 1473yds really doesn't matter. Still a long ways to go.

As to accuracy, you need to define accuracy. At two miles, I would suggest something in the baseball diamond size as a very plausible target. Trying to hit a 55gal drum or such is really just luck at that range.

Hitting a PD. Well, tell me who you buy bullets and barrels from and I will invest in those companies. Should make me rich.

I do not consider accurate fire to be spray and pray. If I can't hit an object/target at least 50% of the time, I consider it beyond the accuracy limit of gear and shooter.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.