308-300wsm Rechamber

Lucas

Hello, i've got a rem700 vs chambered in 308. Not sure if this has been brought up before, if so i can't find it. My question is what would it take to rechamber the 308 to 300 wsm? The reason i was thinking about this is because both rounds are awesome but the 300 will pack a bigger punch at longer distances. If anyone has done this or knows someone who has please chime in. Is it just a matter of boring the chamber to fit the round and possibly a new bolt face or would it be more time/labor intensive then that. I'd really like to go this route because i cant afford a new rifle, scope and blueprinting right now. Any Suggestions?

Last edited:
I am also planning the same build.I started with a left hand rem 700 VSF in .308 and am sending it to my smith next week to re-chamber it to 300WSM.i orderd a new bolt from PT&G and bought a extended magazine box from wyatt's outdoors.After speaking with tom he reccomended a single stack mag.I am a little concerned with the 1-12" twist for stabilizing 190 bergers that i plan to use.i may have to settle on 180 accubonds which performed great in my 300rum.will let you know how i make out.

Lucas,
I used a 7-08 M700 mountain rifle , rechambered to 7mm x 300, trued the bolt , enlarged the head of the bolt, widened the rails, installed a Sako extractor, headspaced . Really don't think that a 300 would be much different. A competent gunsmith could give you a good quote on the entire process.

Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.