308-300wsm Rechamber

Lucas

Hello, i've got a rem700 vs chambered in 308. Not sure if this has been brought up before, if so i can't find it. My question is what would it take to rechamber the 308 to 300 wsm? The reason i was thinking about this is because both rounds are awesome but the 300 will pack a bigger punch at longer distances. If anyone has done this or knows someone who has please chime in. Is it just a matter of boring the chamber to fit the round and possibly a new bolt face or would it be more time/labor intensive then that. I'd really like to go this route because i cant afford a new rifle, scope and blueprinting right now. Any Suggestions?

Last edited:

kato59

I am also planning the same build.I started with a left hand rem 700 VSF in .308 and am sending it to my smith next week to re-chamber it to 300WSM.i orderd a new bolt from PT&G and bought a extended magazine box from wyatt's outdoors.After speaking with tom he reccomended a single stack mag.I am a little concerned with the 1-12" twist for stabilizing 190 bergers that i plan to use.i may have to settle on 180 accubonds which performed great in my 300rum.will let you know how i make out.

21buck

Lucas,
I used a 7-08 M700 mountain rifle , rechambered to 7mm x 300, trued the bolt , enlarged the head of the bolt, widened the rails, installed a Sako extractor, headspaced . Really don't think that a 300 would be much different. A competent gunsmith could give you a good quote on the entire process.

Good Luck

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce