.308 208gr A-max Range Report!

Oliveralan

So last weekend i went to the range again. I finished load development for my new .308 winchester with 208gr A-maxs and got to doing some drop tests. Chronograph readings varied from one to the other so i won't post what velocity reading i got, just my drops and if anyone would like to explain my results, because it seems im getting close to a 300 WSM..

My load is 208gr A-max, winchester brass (full prep), CCI-BR2 primer, and 48grains of RL17.

Temps were in the mid 50s during testing.

All shooting was witnessed by Trebark, maybe he will post here aswell.

Yardage----MOA dialed
100----------0
200----------2
250----------2.75
300----------3.5
370----------5.75
400----------6

The 208gr A-max has a published BC of .648, but others use .633. If anyone would like to extrapolate the drop data, if their ballistic calculator can do that, either my programs arent able to do it or i can't figure it out.

Accuracy was solid .5 moa at 400.

Well with the info you gave and i just guess an elevation of 2500ft you look to be around 2800FPS but that seems REALLY fast for a .308. MY wsm with 208's was doing 2810FPS.

What is your altitude?

Was the barometric pressure abnormally high or low this weekend?

What is your bbl length?

What is your bbl twist?

How sure are you of your 100 yard zero?

Have you tried a 250 or 300 yard zero and tested drops at 400, 500 or 600 yards?

no, i measured the Bari pressure, was at 29.71, so normal.

My barrel is a 28" Hart, 1-11tw

I am dead sure of my 100 yard zero. Shot paper, steel and clays at all ranges and was cranking turrets back and forth and hitting everything. Those drops are dead on, I mean not just hitting steel plate but within 1-2" of aim point every time (wind was forgiving this weekend).

I am waiting for an opportunity to test at 1k, only have 400yards on my property.

I am in VA, elevation according to my meter is 30ft above sea level.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.