.308 175g HPBT Matchking for deer hunting

SWALI

Has anyone used Sierra 175g Matchking bullets for deer hunting ?

Some say this is the ultimate bullet for the .308
Although Sierra does not recommend Matchking bullets for hunting applications !

Any views ????

You really have to be careful with them or else your son will get to using it and you won't be able to kill anything with it anymore.

pig07_edited.jpg

auodad2.jpg

Used the 175 match king for the first time last year on
muledeer. Have heard different reports and read many different
post on the subject, my thought was to try it.
The shot was longer than needed, but one shot kill, looking at a different bullet for next year mainly the 180 Speer a .540 BC comming out of 30-06.

Up till this past deer season my longest kill on a big game animal was 618yds on a whitetail doe with a BlackHills factory loaed 175gr Match King , bullet hit just behind the shoulder pass through and deer went maybe 40yds and died , I would have like a little more expansion but seeing that no bone other than ribs were hit the bullet did expand well and do significiant damage.

Nomad , what 180gr Speer bullet are you shooting with a .540 BC?

I used a 190 gr SMK two times on Barbery Sheep hunts. In each hunt I shot a sheep at 312 yards and one at 350 yards. The hits were perfect into the shoulder. However, in each instance, the sheep didn't go down and had to be taken with a follow up shot. Rifle was a 300 WM.

James Jones shooting the spitzer btsp, in Speer's 14 reloading manual
its stated at 0.545 ballistc coefficient.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.