.308 165gr bthp gameking

This Gameking has been around for a long time. It is wise to load them down a bit in any "big" 30, since they are a bit fragile at high velocity. [>3000]
I shot a number of big Muleys with this bullet in the 30-06, at around 2800 fps, and they always killed quickly if I did my part.
I learned not to target any bigger bone with them, since that always resulted in a mess and a lot of bloodshot meat.
As you have observed, the bullet tends to be quite accurate. Dave.

I try to be careful if the heart as it's one of my favorite parts. I got to try the neck now!
The neck roasts my wife makes in the crock pot, complete with a jar of brown/beef gravy, quartered potatoes, carrots and onions are simply fantastic. All my daughters cut their teeth on venison, and to this day, prefer it over beef.

The neck roasts my wife makes in the crock pot, complete with a jar of brown/beef gravy, quartered potatoes, carrots and onions are simply fantastic. All my daughters cut their teeth on venison, and to this day, prefer it over beef.
That sounds awesome. I'll save the neck next time!

We love this too. I also make mincemeat pie from the neck. All my family was raised on what we call bush beef.

We love this too. I also make mincemeat pie from the neck. All my family was raised on what we call bush beef.
My mom used to make mincemeat pie way back in the 60's, when I was a kid. Can't really remember much about it, except that I didn't like it, but then again, I was a kid that didn't know much. Guess things haven't changed much except my age. Lol

My mom used to make mincemeat pie way back in the 60's, when I was a kid. Can't really remember much about it, except that I didn't like it, but then again, I was a kid that didn't know much. Guess things haven't changed much except my age. Lol
I didn't like it as a kid either. Love it now. I still do not let the kind that you can get in the stores 🤮.

Hello, I was wondering what you all thought about this bullet in a 308, it might be the GameChanger now, supposed to be the same I think. Shots 200 250 yards and closer ,out of a Tikka . I've also have Hornady 150gr btsp. What do you think. Thanks
I have used this bullet in .25 caliber. Using the 100gr in my .257 Wby. I have had good luck on Whitetails and Antelope. They are soft and can waste some meat. Careful shot placement will help. One of my quickest kills was a Whitetail buck at slight downhill angle, the rangefinder said 178 yards, he dropped straight down where he stood and never moved after that.

Hello, I was wondering what you all thought about this bullet in a 308, it might be the GameChanger now, supposed to be the same I think. Shots 200 250 yards and closer ,out of a Tikka . I've also have Hornady 150gr btsp. What do you think. Thanks
I loaded the .308 165-grain GameChanger for a buddy's 300 Win Mag. Accuracy was around 1/2 MOA from a factory rifle with a fairly light barrel (no trigger job, nothing), as I recall. He took an antelope with it last fall. One shot, dead on arrival, terminal ballistics kind of halfway between the GameKing and a more frangible bullet like a Berger. That particular bullet has a remarkably good BC for such a light-for-caliber bullet. Nice antelope/deer bullet, I think.

My son and I use the 165 Game King HPBT for deer in our 300 Win Mags. I have them loaded to less than 1/2 MOA. They are great bullets. Longest deer shot we had was 300 yards. That was a shoulder hit ... the buck dropped in its place. They shoot so well, I don't even think about trying another bullet for deer under 300 yards.

They work well in a 30-06 and 308, but not as well as the 300 Win Mag. In a discussion with Sierra a number of years ago, I was told the testing for the 165 HPBT was done in a 300 Win Mag.

If I were going for antelope I would use a bullet with a higher BC, and use a smaller caliber in a 284 or 270 or even a 6.5.

My son and I use the 165 Game King HPBT for deer in our 300 Win Mags. I have them loaded to less than 1/2 MOA. They are great bullets. Longest deer shot we had was 300 yards. That was a shoulder hit ... the buck dropped in its place. They shoot so well, I don't even think about trying another bullet for deer under 300 yards.

They work well in a 30-06 and 308, but not as well as the 300 Win Mag. In a discussion with Sierra a number of years ago, I was told the testing for the 165 HPBT was done in a 300 Win Mag.

If I were going for antelope I would use a bullet with a higher BC, and use a smaller caliber in a 284 or 270 or even a 6.5.
Sierra describes the BC of the 165-grain .308 GameChanger (new version of the GameKing) as .530 @ 2680 fps and above, .440 between 1300 and 2680 fps, and .320 @ 1300 fps and below (https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/30-caliber-165-gr-tgk/). That's better than the G1 BC (0.498) of the Berger 168-grain VLD Hunter (https://bergerbullets.com/product/30-caliber-168-grain-very-low-drag-vld-hunting/). I agree about using a smaller-caliber rifle for antelope, if you have one. My son hunted antelope with a 25-06, and terminal ballistics were decisive with good old-fashioned Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets.

I have shot quite a few deer with that bullet. The HPBT is actually quite a bit tougher (opens slower) then the lead tipped version. I shot VA, NC, and MN deer with it from 110 to 250 pounds and it provided baseball sized exits and a good wound channel. I was shooting them through a 300Wby. They will be perfect from your .308 to 300 yards.
Before I switched almost exclusively to the .270 Winchester I hunted big Muleys with a .308 and a .30-06 and my wife hunted with a .243 Win. I tried various bullets in my handloads and always without exception had really good accuracy and terminal performance results with Sierra bullets.

I did find the BTSP GK's to be a bit more fragile than I preferred; and I talked with a Sierra rep at an Elk show about my results. He recommended I try their BTHP GK's. I'd never thought much about them as it seemed the hollow points would likely open up even faster than the soft points . . . but he was absolutely correct. I stayed with the 165-grain in .30 caliber and counter intuitively dropped to the 85-grain weight with their 6mm hollow point in-lieu of the 100-grain soft point.

Those hollow point Game Kings are not like a hollow point Match King, in case anyone confuses the two. Clearly the jacket is thicker with the GK's and the hollow point is an odd almost-square shape. I wasn't sure what to expect, but both my wife and I obtained great results with them. We always had exits, which were about the size of a golf ball or a little larger depending on what bone we hit. We didn't have excessive meat damage. The bullets held together very well and we didn't have bits of copper and lead frag left behind as we'd noticed previously with the BTSP GK's. Also, after tinkering with different powders I found the hollow point GK's to be surprisingly accurate. On a bench my wife once shot 5 of her little 85-grainers at 100 yards into a cluster I could cover with my thumbnail from her old Remington 788. The only "negative" I can report is that the BC on those particular Sierra bullets is pretty low. At the normal hunting ranges we killed Mule Deer at, always under 400 yards, that wasn't an issue.

Happy hunting to you!

SF -

Didn't realize they changed the name of this bullet. Killed many many whitetail with that bullet from a 270

I have killed truck loads of deer at shorter ranges with the old Sierra Soft Point 165 grain Gameking in 30-06. They are great for whitetails and good for accuracy.
Recently got good groups with the Sierra 165 Hollow Point Gamekings. Haven't killed anything with them yet, but as others have said, they are a tougher bullet than the old SP Gameking (yes, there are two different GameKings) and also the new Gamechanger which was also a good grouper for me in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Having killed so many deer with Sierra, I have a lot of confidence in them for whitetails. I just wouldn't try Matchkings unless it was a big heavy for caliber Matchking that is more than you would typically need for whitetails. But it still would not be my first choice, since there are so many expanding bullets that you can get now that will give good accuracy and terminal performance.