.308 165gr bthp gameking

Meat damage will be significant. Shoot through the ribs, or be ready for bloodshot shoulders.
Try some Hammers. You'll be amazed how little bloodshot meat you get and still SO lethal.
(Another Alabama deer hunter.)
G
Another Alabama deer hunter, is that a good thing. RTR

There are some on here that have use MatchKings to take white tails. But Sierra doesn't recommend it. Most that do use MatchKings will clear the tips to make sure they expand. But just stick with either the GameKing or GameChanger, I'm sure either will work. Really in a 308 win just about any cup and core bullet at your described range will work. Just choose the bullet that shoots the best and do a double lung/ heart shot.
Naw I wouldn't use the Matchking, I read where people do it, and don't understand what they are thinking

They use them because they work. Especially when clearing the tips. The GameKing (bthp) that you asked about is a MatchKing design with a larger hollowpoint. Sierra even marketed it as such at one time.

I have shot quite a few deer with that bullet. The HPBT is actually quite a bit tougher (opens slower) then the lead tipped version. I shot VA, NC, and MN deer with it from 110 to 250 pounds and it provided baseball sized exits and a good wound channel. I was shooting them through a 300Wby. They will be perfect from your .308 to 300 yards.
I was really wanting to try the 165hp because I like the 243 version 85gr bthp

You think both would cause a lot of meat damage?

Not with the heart-lung shot.
I agree stay with a heart lung shot and you won't see a lot of meat damage. That's one of the beauties of shooting a 308 Win or a 30-06 in the bullet range of 165 gr to 180 gr bullet. They kill well within their normal hunting ranges without alot of meat damage depending on bullet construction. Just like Ol' Red says just do a heart lung shot.

I agree stay with a heart lung shot and you won't see a lot of meat damage. That's one of the beauties of shooting a 308 Win or a 30-06 in the bullet range of 165 gr to 180 gr bullet. They kill well within their normal hunting ranges without alot of meat damage depending on bullet construction. Just like Ol' Red says just do a heart lung shot.
Okay great, that's the one I will try. Thanks

This is the way I look at it. For trophy game hunts, or if I'm going to do a shot through shoulder or at any angle I'll pick an appropriate bonded bullet or mono. For long range or pure double lung/ heart shots I'll choose a cup and core or appropriate Match or vld. One that has a good killing track record.

Load the Sierra Gamekings in both my 308 and my buddy's 300 WM. Accuracy was more than acceptable with a few groups printing in the low .3s and high .2 for the 308.... the 300 WM it was a little wider at about 3/4" groups. We run my buddy's 300 WM a little on the slow side so it doesn't pound him too bad ...probably about 3100 but I don't have my load book in front of me. Performance on game...they open up quick, but haven't loss a deer yet to them. Definitely try and stay off the shoulder. The hollow point isn't so much of a hole and more of a wicked looking cross or X.. Wicked is a great description actually.

Load the Sierra Gamekings in both my 308 and my buddy's 300 WM. Accuracy was more than acceptable with a few groups printing in the low .3s and high .2 for the 308.... the 300 WM it was a little wider at about 3/4" groups. We run my buddy's 300 WM a little on the slow side so it doesn't pound him too bad ...probably about 3100 but I don't have my load book in front of me. Performance on game...they open up quick, but haven't loss a deer yet to them. Definitely try and stay off the shoulder. The hollow point isn't so much of a hole and more of a wicked looking cross or X.. Wicked is a great description actually.
That sounds good, I will be loading some up about Monday, I was thinking about using varget

Recent Posts