.308 / 165 grn Sierra Game Changer at 3,200 FPS on Deer?

Just wondering if anyone had real world experience on game at higher velocity. Wondering how it would hold together at shorter ranges. I also have the same Sako rifle in .308 and it shoots these same 165 Game Changers into nice groups at just under 2,700 FPS. I know the .308 will be great in 95% of the shot opportunities, but I like the extra range of the 300 WM just in case a longer shot presents itself.

I know this combo (165 grn @ 3,200 FPS) could be overkill in most situations. However, last year I shot a nice deer with my .308 at about 175 yards using a 150 TTSX at 2,800 FPS. Deer was uphill, died quickly, and everything worked out great. The day before, we spotted a even nicer buck across a canyon at 450 yards. I had the crosshairs on him for awhile, but didn't pull the trigger. If the shot didn't anchor him, he could (very likely) have gone down into a very steep canyon and not be recoverable. I would have taken the shot if I had my 300 WM with the 165 Sierra at 3,200 FPS.

You may consider it overkill, I consider it insurance!

No bullet can guarantee DRT at 450 yards. They will kill and the variables to how far an animal will go after the shot are endless. Of course if you are able to hit high shoulder etc, then MAYBE it will be DRT and won't "run" upwards 100+ yards dead on its feet which is what most bullets achieve after hits. There are no magic bullets powered by pixie dust that will do this. Then again if the Sierra 165 GC was loaded with RL26 maybe?

Now I use 165gr Nosler Accubonds or there same type before that. Put down 6 elk and several deer with the round. My velocity is 3300 fps at muzzle chronograph with my 308 Norma Mag, which is the forerunner of the 300 Win Mag, and I feel the 300 W.M is a better round than the 308 Norma Mag. The range were from 50 yds to 350 yds. I haven't used any heaver bullets. I feel that the 165gr Nosler is a good bullet. I don't shoot heaver and I keep my range under or close to 500 yds. My late friend had a Ruger No. 1 in 300 Win Mag, and we got 3400 fps with it. Most of my shots were 1 shot kills heart, lung area including game killed in Africa. I did change to a 338 Win Mag with this last Africa hunt with 200gr Nosler Accubonds, and the performance was good. Some drop in there tracks and nothing move more than 40 yds. I can see the heaver bullets for shooting long range, and the why and what for reasons. I am beginning to look closer at the all copper bullets now. When I first tried them in early 2000 I wasn't very happy about how they grouped and couldn't get the velocity out of them either. So I stayed away from them. My concern has always been groups, velocity and how the bullets held up and damage to the animal.

Not directly related to .308 caliber. I hunt with 7mm mag. I have shot deer at 400 yrds that flipped like hit with sledge hammer and have shot deer at 100 yrds that ran 200 yards. Biggest difference was bullet placement. I have accidently popped a 100 gr hollow point that rolled a nice 7 pointer like he was hit by tractor trailer. I have used various type bullet with great and not so great results,Again difference was where loose nut pulling trigger place the bullet. My point is I think too much infancies is put on bullet type. As long as it has enough energy at the range and you put it on target the deer will be dead pretty quick.

Not directly related to .308 caliber. I hunt with 7mm mag. I have shot deer at 400 yrds that flipped like hit with sledge hammer and have shot deer at 100 yrds that ran 200 yards. Biggest difference was bullet placement. I have accidently popped a 100 gr hollow point that rolled a nice 7 pointer like he was hit by tractor trailer. I have used various type bullet with great and not so great results,Again difference was where loose nut pulling trigger place the bullet. My point is I think too much infancies is put on bullet type. As long as it has enough energy at the range and you put it on target the deer will be dead pretty quick.
I agree with you, and I have 264 win, mag, 7mm mag, 308 Norma Mag, 300 H & H mag, 338 win mag along with a few other calibers. My main deer rifle is a 25/06 and kill one hell of a lot deer with it out to 500yds. I ask to question in another post. 1. how does a deer react when hit in the liver? 2. How does a deer generally react when hit in the heart.
For all the years I have hunted. I look over what my bullet did, and ask other people what they are shooting. If I could look over their kills to see what the bullet did. If the animal was tore up I would say to the hunter boy that bullet really kick it's butt. Generally the hunter would respond Yup drop him in his tracks. The animal were generally blood shot to hell. If the animal had a clean wound channel I got deeper into the bullet and caliber they were using. What I hated was bloodshot animals. Bullet place is the most importance thing after shooting good groups and shooting at different ranges to understand what the bullet is doing.

WHILE IT WILL DESTROY SOME MEAT A SHOT TO SHOULDER THAT GOES THRU MID UPPER part of shoulder blade will role one in its track lot quicker than heart shots. At least in my experience. Shot two last year,both thru shoulder and both less than 10 feet from where I shot them. Getting too old for tracking 200 yards and dragging a dead deer even farther .

You are right on that. A deer hit in the heart generally will do two different things. They will kick like a mule, and run not bounce with it's head level with it's back from anywhere from 10 to 100 yds sometime a little more. A deer and Antelope if hit in the liver will run some and then stop, drop there nose to the ground and back up shacking somewhat then drop. I have seen this time and time again, and it was pointed out to me in my early days hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.