308 155gr SMK

Brown Dog

I was going to ask what the consensus view on the 308 155gr smk was for hunting (thinking that most smk advocates hunt with the 175gr in 308) since I have a couple of hundred rounds of palma ammo on hand.

Just got back from a plink; surprised to find that, at 522yds, the 155s were zipping right through 30" thick rotten silage bales, leaving only 308 size exit holes.
P1010397.jpg

I guess the answer is 'no' for 155gr?

I never could get the 155gr SMK's to shoot as well as the 168 and 175's so I never gave them a chance on game. The 155gr A-max on the other hand is a great buyllet for smaller deer and coyotes and the such they expanded realy fast and shoot pretty well also.
I'm not real sure if the 155gr Palma bullets from Sierra are constructed the same way as the other SMK's.
I'm not sure what a silage bail is either , maybe get a couple phone books and soak thenm that try shooting through that and see what kind of expansion they have

I would think that rotten silage would not offer the resistance that an animal would, therefore not causing the bullet to expand

d-a

...I'd have thought that if something was going to open up, 30" of silage (hay: cut, compressed, fermented) would be enough to start it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not real sure if the 155gr Palma bullets from Sierra are constructed the same way as the other SMK's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point...I was wondering if perhaps they're tougher? ...this certainly struck me as being akin to FMJ penetration.

a 30 thick rotten silage bag made the correct way shoul offer plenty of resistance, it is just as tough or tougher than a couple of phone books because the grass compressed

Brown Dog, while I haven't killed anything with the 155's, neither phone books, nor silage, will tell you anything about bullet performance in tissue. It just doesn't replicate it. Ballistic jelletin is what is needed to ascertain consistent, reliable bullet disruption in living tissue.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot deer with them, however I am finding more and more I like the Amax's better for deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.