.307 winchester

tony m

model 94 winchester.I see there is brass available for this chambering..but it is scarce.Dies will be too.Any suggestions? It is a saddle gun.

307 Winchester uses 308 Winchester dies, but with a different shell holder. I believe the shell holder is the same as a 30-30. The brass is the expensive part. You can size 356 Winchester brass down, and you might be able to squish 444 Marlin brass down, but you'll probably need to trim it, and neck turn.

307 Winchester uses 308 Winchester dies, but with a different shell holder. I believe the shell holder is the same as a 30-30. The brass is the expensive part. You can size 356 Winchester brass down, and you might be able to squish 444 Marlin brass down, but you'll probably need to trim it, and neck turn.
thanks..I guess the brass is the only problem

I always wanted one of these. Saw one at a scheels a few yeats ago for $450 in almost new condition. With the hornady's this could be a fun round.

I always wanted one of these. Saw one at a scheels a few yeats ago for $450 in almost new condition. With the hornady's this could be a fun round.
I had the 94ae in a .356 at one time, so I know the rifle. ..thinking the .307 could be a fun addition to the battery..This guy wants 650.00..any thoughts?

I'd try beating him up over the lack of brass and the high price of ammo. Being a Winchester, it's probably worth what he's asking, as long as it's in good condition. Sadly, I scrapped a couple of hundred 307 cases a year ago after selling my rifle, and finding no market at the time for the brass. Another thought just hit me. You may be able to use 308 brass in the rifle if the extractor will firmly grip the rim. Some of the 356 boys claim to be using 358 sized 308 brass in their rifles. Do pay close attention to 307 loading data though, IIRC, there's a slight pressure reduction for the 307 vs 308.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts